The Adventures of Severus "Sev" (ArabXFriesian dressage prospect)

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by XxLiveToRidexX, Jun 10, 2018.

1. XxLiveToRidexX

XxLiveToRidexX Senior Member

Sev went out to pasture today with a group of geldings. He managed to hold his own pretty darn well given we have a few that are quite frankly, nasty mean. He is a quick little guy and smart about space.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kodemiester

kodemiester Senior Member

He is taller than Ace already. :rofl: Looking forwards to watching him grow!

Alsosusieq2 and XxLiveToRidexX like this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

He's got a lot of growing to do and will fill out great. Love that mirrored photo.

XxLiveToRidexX likes this.
  4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Look forward to seeing the journey. At two, with his breeding the next three years he'll blossom. Glad he managed and handled the herd well!!

XxLiveToRidexX likes this.
  5. XxLiveToRidexX

Brought him in and worked with him some more today. I'm bummed because he did end up with a pretty big chip in one of his hind hooves sometime between yesterday and today. He unfortunately has not had routine 6-8 week trimming AND is not wonderful about picking up his hind legs nicely. He either hops all around on 3 legs or pulls and pushes his leg in and out...

I have my farrier coming out next Friday and am praying that he behaves so she can start getting him on the track to healthy feet!

6. XxLiveToRidexX

Brought him in again today and overall he did stand better in the crossties. Handled his feet again and a tiny bit better but still unpredictable...haha

I made the decision to give him a little dorm gel when the farrier is out next Friday as he really needs a GOOD trim and I don't want her to feel like she needs to half a** the trim for safety reasons.

7. XxLiveToRidexX

Sev has been doing well! He is getting a little less interested in being caught, which I kind of expected given he is out in a herd in a large pasture. Hopefully it doesn't turn into nothing major, I go out every once in awhile just to give him a pat and a scratch without bringing him in.

He was super quiet in the crossties on Wednesday for me. Was very respectful with his feet. Did a little bit of in hand work in the arena and I even threw a tarp over him. I love how quiet he is!

He is getting trimmed today, not going to lie I am a little nervous. I have since switched my mind and he is going to do it sedation free because he really was quite good with his feet on Wednesday. I know its going to take many trims to get him where he needs to be, just hoping he behaves!

8. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Good luck with his trim, hopefully it will be a positive day for him, I guess the important thing is just make a start, short sweet and positive, rather than pushing it.

Alsosusieq2 and Larkspade like this.
  9. AprilBride2012

AprilBride2012 Senior Member

I love his facial expressions. You can tell there is a lot going on in that brain!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. XxLiveToRidexX

Very proud of Sev, he did great for his first trim! Needs some more work with handling his back feet but I really can't complain.