The Adventures of Severus "Sev" (ArabXFriesian dressage prospect)

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by XxLiveToRidexX, Jun 10, 2018.

1. XxLiveToRidexX

XxLiveToRidexX Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Well everyone, today was the big day! Baby Sev got to come home! It has been a super happily emotional day for me because everything about this day has just felt "meant to be". Sev jumped right on the trailer this morning (though he hasn't figured out how to back out yet!) and handled traveling like a champ. He quietly walked off the trailer once we got home and was very excited to see all the horses on the property.

Though he had never before been in a barn or a stall, the little man walked right in with me! He is currently in a holding turnout while he settles in. In awhile he will get to be turned out with a group of 8 other geldings in a big pasture to play and learn. Sev was very intrigued by the mini ponies sharing his fence line and took no haste playing in his water bucket, eating some hay, and having a good roll.

He makes it a priority (for now at least!) to meet everyone at the gate and LOVES to get scratches on his neck/chest. Everything about today has been so awesome and I couldn't be more proud of my new guy. He is currently 18 months (Late September baby!!).

Tomorrow Sev gets to meet the vet to get all up to date on his health work. As long as that is not too traumatizing for him I plan to lead him around and let him explore the property a bit. This baby is going to get TONS of handling on the ground!

I just love his little face, he has such similar eyes and ears to my dear Imp!

For those who are concerned, the halter was taken off after the picture and I have a breakaway halter coming in the mail for him!
    [​IMG]

emali06, lukesmom, equinitis and 19 others like this.
  2. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Hey, he's the same age as my baby!
    Have fun with him, he's cute!

Alsosusieq2 and XxLiveToRidexX like this.
  3. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

He is a beauty! I hope you two have a long and successful partnership

4. palimino57

palimino57 Senior Member

Look forward to watching him grow!

5. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

This is so exciting!!! As soon as I saw the title I wondered if you had gotten a "baby" Imp. He sounds like he is going to be such a special guy! I'm super excited to see how he matures and your adventures together as you eventually start him under saddle and begin bringing him up through the levels.

6. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

I love him! I can't wait to follow this thread and see more photos as he grows up. :D

Also, that lime green looks smashing on him!

7. XxLiveToRidexX

I've spent the morning (cause of course I can't sleep) looking up some of the family members ;)

Here is grandpa, Sape 381

8. XxLiveToRidexX

Well, vet appointment was interesting! Of course we are having heavy down pouring and sideways blowing rain all day. So Sev did NOT want to come into the barn with me, he wanted back out by his friends! Handled the few pokes okay but did not appreciate his blood being drawn for his Coggins. Had to smack him a few times cause he was determined to get back out of the barn, even with a needle in his neck! haha

Alsosusieq2, ginster and Larkspade like this.
  9. Peanut Palomino

Peanut Palomino Senior Member

I LOVE that lime green on him!

XxLiveToRidexX likes this.
  10. XxLiveToRidexX

Today was a good day with Sev!

He officially sticks 14.2 at his withers. He got to come into the barn and practice standing in the crossties for the first time. He hasn't been tied a ton but really wasn't overly wiggly for me. We worked extra on picking up his feet as he is seeing the farrier next week.
    [​IMG]

Next we ventured into the indoor arena to explore and do a little ground work. Sev was quite concerned about seeing himself in the mirrors, most horses are for the first time! We worked on walking, stopping, backing, putting his head down in the halter and having him move his hindquarters. He didn't do that bad at all. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]