The Adventures of Baby Charlie

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Circle C, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

The BO's husband messaged me this AM and said Charlie is back to his normal self and he ate his breakfast. Yay! :)

2. greenpaintpony

greenpaintpony Senior Member

Yay!!! You must feel so relieved!!

3. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

For sure. It's so scary. And I haven't had one colic in years.

Now, just waiting on the dog to come home. What a start to the year.

4. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

First ride in the books for the 2yo. He was very good.

20180121_135453.png 20180121_135430.png

5. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

He is a long yearling, about 20 months old, and he is of course phyically looking foalish and not grown up, DON`T RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

^^^I'm just grateful she has waited this long. There are lots of "long yearlings" out there that already have 30+ days on them. I personally don't feel like its the worst thing to Lightly start them a couple of months before their 2nd b-day, emphasis on lightly. It depends on the horse though. Charlie isn't exactly tiny either, he is 14.2ish.

kodemiester and Circle C like this.
  7. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Lol.. ppl make me laugh here.
    First ride in the books, he did great. He will be lightly ridden 2-3x a week until spring and then go into training with a HUS trainer for 30-60 days. Then, trail riding this summer and a few shows to get some exposure. Turned out for the winter and then back as a 3yr old to full time training. It's the same procedure i follow with all my colts, as does most of the rest of the world. Unless there is a specific reason that procedure can't be followed. It depends on horse. His breeder is 100% happy with his progress so far and how he is coming along and she is no backyard breeder.

If you don't agree with it, just unsubscribe. ☺

8. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I just got rapped with a wooden spoon for thinking about starting Quest as a 2.5 year old....

GONE ROPING and NBChoice like this.
  9. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Lol oh my. I like this forum, but there are very little here that actually show or show at a level higher than local shows. The rest of the world starts their 2 yr Olds sometime between jan-march to get them ready to show. It' not a big deal unless there is a reason the horse can' be started. Gotta know your horse and use common sense. I would never ride one hard and I don't agree with 2yo futurities. I take my time with my colts. That's why they turn out so nice and are usually easy. :)

10. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

If it's very light work and an earlier maturing breed type, 2.5 is quite okay.

In the western world two year olds are started and then immediately put into reining or cutting training for futurities showing. What sliding stops, spins and cutting work are doing to the joints you can imagine. (same goes for jumping too young or chasing a dressage horse round after round in extended trot to show off movement quality of just started studs)

At age 10 they will all need injections or they have to be retired altogether.