The Adventures of Baby Charlie

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Circle C, Jun 19, 2017.

1. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

Wait—— he’s a long yearling??

2. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Yep. 2 in April as previously stated.

3. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

He huge!!! How big is he expected to get?

4. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

LOL. He really isn't that big (I don't think). He was almost 14.2 when I measured him last. It's been a few months. His sire is 16h. I'm not sure on the size of the dam as she died, but I was told she was a good size. If I had to guess from a really bad pic I have of her I'd guess 15.1-2.

His cannon bone measurement puts him right at about 15.3, but I'm hoping for 16h. I would be tickled pink if he got 16h, but 15.3 would be OK with me, too. I just want to show AQHA HUS (yeah, with a horse bred to run :ROFLMAO:) , so I need some height.

5. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

I’m pretty sure he will get there! Maybe not 16H, but he sure will reach mid 15.
    Maybe hang him from his blanket so his legs grow longer.
    Jkjk! I’m really not evil.
    He looks so good! Can’t wait to see him showing.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Thanks. I'm pretty excited to start him under saddle. I'm just not sure what month it's going to happen since I work 3 jobs now. The plan is to ride him myself for 30-60 days and let the trainer ride him for a month. Continue with light training through the summer/fall and then winter break. Maybe a few shows this fall to get him out and have some fun and some trail riding.

~tiffy~ and kodemiester like this.
  7. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

My pics haven't been very interesting lately, but when it's 3 degrees not much gets done lol
    20180106_144039.jpg

Charlie got a slinky hood and a tail bag from the barn owner for xmas. He's sporting his new tailbag.

20180106_150356.jpg

GONE ROPING, ginster and kodemiester like this.
  8. Larkspade

Larkspade Senior Member

That's nice that your BO have you guys a Christmas gift!
    He looks gorgeous as always

Circle C likes this.
  9. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

BO's husband messaged me this AM to tell me Charlie was laying down a lot and off his feed. I noticed he wasn't eating his grain last night, but he went for his hay bag. I had him out and he seemed to be acting normal. When I got there this AM he was clearly colicing and the sawdust in his stall was thrown up against the wall. I got him up and he was pawing and trying to lay down on us. I gave him some IV Banamine and took him out into the indoor for a while. He seemed to be OK after 15 min. He was just walking around the arena. He had 2 piles of soft poo in his stall, one being very fresh.

The BO is riding all day so she is going to keep an eye on him until I can get back out there after work or she will call the vet if things start to go downhill. I wanted to take his temp earlier, but my thermometer was dead so I had to grab the other one from the dog bag at home. The cold must have killed it. It probably needs a new battery. I am going to head out and check him and take his temp after work at 8. Hopefully it was just a minor colic. He was wanting to eat when I left, but I took his hay away from him for the day. This weather is wreaking havoc on all sorts of creatures.

Not to mention, my dog has been at the vet since Sunday. He had to have emergency surgery for bladder stones. I'm afraid to see that bill. ugh.

I'll keep you posted.

Pic from last night just for jingles. On a positive note, he grew an inch in the last 30 days. I'm willing to bet he's gonna be pretty close to 15h on his actual birthday (April). He's a hair under 14.3 now.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    endurgirl, kodemiester and Dona Worry like this.
  10. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

Poor adorable baby. Jingles!!!