That Special Foster Dog

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Zephyer1995, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Zephyer1995

Zephyer1995 Senior Member

Hello all. Been a while since I’ve updated. Still dogs in/dogs out. Including picking up an elderly dog from the edge of a creek after a night of rain. Rushed to ER. Temp of 94 and glucose over 600. Owner was found and after a couple tense hours, she decided the dog was actually sick and needed treatment.

Also an extremely timid border collie mix my sister and I managed to catch after the people had been trying for about a month. Unfortunately she opened the door to my spare room (where the cats live in bad weather) where the window is cracked open and she opened it wide enough to jump out and leave. So we’ve been trying to located and recapture her. She really was quite sweet.

Anyways. On to the dog this is about. Jasmine. Poor girl. After she came up dead lame in her stiff leg after my Heeler shoulder blasted her, she was x-rayed and found to have bilateral hip dysplasia. After some research and fund raising, her rescue gave the goahead to schedule her for her first FHO. This was a couple weeks ago. I get a text from the rescue president that goes like this.....
    Pres: Bad news
    Me: Uh oh
    Pres: Yeah......
    Me: How bad?
    Pres: Can you call me?
    Talk about someone about to lose their crap at their desk! I was completely filled with dread as I called and waited for the bad news to come.
    Once sedated and prepped for that surgery, it was discovered she had a possible CCL (ACL) injury on the left. Surgery was canceled and we got her back home. Surgeon mentioned possibly needing an amputation of left leg due to multiple problems. However, right hip was also bad, just not to the same degree.
    Scheduled back in with local leading orthopedic vet. He found that her CCL in BOTH hind legs is badly damaged. The clicking we had been hearing initially was likely a meniscal injury as well.
    Took her back home for more research, discussion, and concerns with quality of life. Did I mention Jasmine is the absolute sweetest dog??
    It has been decided she will have her CCL’s repaired using the suture procedure. She has her first surgery scheduled Monday 3/5.
    Rescue is concerned about her increasing unadoptability. I’ve assured them she’s welcome here for as long as she needs a place to call home. She’s quiet and well mannered in the house. Travels excellent. She even goes out in the little flat yard with chickens, guineas, and a goat.
    We’ve got a long road of recovery and rehab ahead of us. 12 weeks after her first surgery, she will need to go back in for surgery on her right knee. This is forcing me to keep my numbers low. I’ve got 10 here right now. 2 leave 3/10. One is a long term who we’ve struggled for months to find rescue for. Big, high energy, pitty girl who can’t be around small animals to include chickens. Then Jasmine and my 6 pack of personal dogs.

If everyone could send jingles for Jazzy, it’d be much appreciated. It’s going to be rough for her but we want to give her a chance to be pain free. She’s so very sweet and gentle. And poor girl isn’t very old, less than 4. Was a puppy machine prior to rescue.

2F8B9214-A1B8-42FB-A5CF-52B68CD57FD3.jpeg F5E5772B-8885-48AA-96BE-F6491809BB2B.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

All the jingles for Jazzy!

3. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Pretty girl. Good luck!

4. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Jingles

5. Zephyer1995

The ortho got caught up in other surgeries yesterday and didn’t get around to Jazzy’s. They called this morning to let me know she was doing fine and will have her surgery this afternoon.

ginster likes this.
  6. Zephyer1995

Jazzy’s surgery went fine. She did have a large meniscal tear that also had to be repaired. I’m working out of town tomorrow so she’ll be staying at the vet until Thursday.

I’ve got to get some weight off her. I cut her kibble back and she still gained a pound so going to switch to a weight management kibble with a lower fat content

equinitis likes this.
  7. Zephyer1995

Jazzy is coming home today. I’m going to the clinic this afternoon to learn how to do her physical therapy. All the staff are totally in love with her as well

Dona Worry and ginster like this.
  8. Zephyer1995

Jazzy has been home a few days now. She’s tolerating her PT well and finally decided diet food isn’t so bad.
    Here she is making friends with the baby Heeler
    6437B316-5611-4ABD-A799-079D77E3ADE4.jpeg

kodemiester, ginster and Dona Worry like this.
  9. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Is Jazzy still a foster or a foster fail?
    She's such a lovely girl, here's hoping she heals fast!

ginster likes this.
  10. Zephyer1995

She’s still a foster. I already have 7