Thank you for your thread on hands Mooslady.

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Mirage, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

So I have been having quite a bit of trouble with Mirage at the walk for over a year. She just would not slow down. Saphira, who is pretty fast paced, has to trot to keep up with Mirage's walk.
    I have been trying so hard to use my seat to slow her down. But I can fight with her all day and she will still be power walking. Every now and then she would slow down, but to a slugs pace. It would only last a few seconds and then we would be power walking again. There was never a middle speed walk.
    Our rides would be filled with small circles. Stopping and backing. Side passing and half passing, but half passing always caused her to break into trot.
    I figured she was just going to need more wet saddle blankets so she learned to go slower.

Well...thanks to @mooselady starting her thread on hands, I paid attention to mine the last few rides. I have noticed my hand don't follow my body. They follow Mirage's speed walk. So my seat is saying to slow down, but my hands are encouraging her to speed up. I also noticed that when I'm asking for a half pass, or even turning, my hands just stop moving. So she starts trotting.
    I went riding yesterday determined to get her walking slow, but not snail slow. And I did it for the most part!:cheerleader: (I know, dumb reason to be so excited)
    We started off ok. I kept my reins tight enough that I had soft, consistent contact and moved them with my body. Mirage fought a little. Pulled on the bit, tossed her head, giraffe knecked. But I didn't get after her because I knew it was my fault she had learned only power walking.
    I still used my seat, I just made sure to use my hands too. And after a few minutes she settled down and walked. Medium walk! I started loosening my reins until all contact was gone and we were on a good trail riding drape. Every now and then I had to get contact again and help her out (all the while still using seat), but she even moved off my leg without speeding up towards the end of our ride. :D

Anyways. I'm happy we found our walk. Lol.

2. prairiesongks

prairiesongks Senior Member

Yeah for figuring out the issue and getting it corrected! Those small victories are what leads up to winning the battle, especially when that battle is with ourselves and the poor horse is just reflecting our error. Good Job!

Alsosusieq2, mooselady and Mirage like this.
  3. BayMare1

BayMare1 Senior Member

good for you!

prairiesongks and Mirage like this.
  4. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Isn't a great feeling when you find a solution? Good for you, I'm glad I started it as well, Fergie and I have done so much better since then:D

5. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

It's funny how something so small can make such a huge difference.

6. BayMare1

BayMare1 Senior Member

story of my life...! If it's so simple how come its so HARD? :rolleyes:

prairiesongks, Mirage and mooselady like this.
  7. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

That's what is cool about this forum you learn things you were't even looking for.

8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Good job Mirage! :)

prairiesongks and Mirage like this.
  9. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

Another good example of how reading and watching videos can give you those "ah-ha!" :idea: moments. :)