Texas Prison Horses

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by RoyalJulie, Feb 18, 2012.

1. RoyalJulie

RoyalJulie Senior Member

Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it!

I know one auction that does get some Huntsville horses, they said about every 6 weeks. We go to the auctions when we can, anyways. It's a fun "date night" for us and we dissolve (ok, just me...my husband might break a smile though) into hysterical laughter when the caller says "this horse aint done a thing wrong since it's been in here" and the horse has been in there like 12 seconds with the wild eye look. I digress.

I am a gelding girl, nothing against mares...owned quite a few...but with 5 small children I need all the help I can get!

We want something big and stout, so that's a second box ticked.

I don't care if it's papered. I think most aren't. I have two papered horses already and one is a good step-up horse for if my daughter does ever progress to the point where we're talking about rated shows.

I know someone who has a mare that's a 21 yr old prison horse, not sure what she was used for but a monkey could ride this thing. Also, the guy I buy my hay from has about a 15 yr old mare and he says the same thing about her.

I'm looking for something to build confidence on with my kids, mainly. I have one like that already but I need more than one. I want to be able to pony on trail rides, etc.

Thanks for all the responses. I am learning so much. I tried to contact the Huntsville prison (at least one of them...there are 7, right?) and that sweet woman wasn't exactly customer service oriented.

2. FolsomNC

FolsomNC Registered

Hi and I hope you do get to read this. I have a Texas prison horse, his name is Folsom =). He is the best horse I have ever ridden and I feel 100% safe with him. I guess it was meant to be, I found him for sale on Craigslist here in NC, the minute I got on him I knew he was for me. He doesn't spook easily and he doesn't mind traffic, dogs, cats, other horses, and he trailers well. The brands have several meanings. The Texas Star and the last digit of the year they were born in on the left shoulder, Folsom has a 5 so he was born in 2005, and it is obvious from his teeth that he is a 7 year old,( he was 5 when we bought him), the other brands represent the units they were in at the prison, Folsom has a 3 on his left hip and a SS on his butt, ( I tell everyone it means super sport). I hope you do get to own one someday, I know that Hartsville has a sell every year and so does Angola Prison in Louisana. Hope this helps and I wish you luck in finding a prison horse, they are worth every penny!

3. luvrofhorses7

luvrofhorses7 Registered

I have a prison horse and she is awesome. They say she is around 9. The only reason they got rid of her I am told is because she is unable to be bred.

4. luvrofhorses7

luvrofhorses7 Registered

Here is my beautiful Prison horse rescue Athena.

Attached Files:

Alsosusieq2 likes this.