Teaching “Less is More”

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by funkybizniz, Oct 27, 2018.

1. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

The deep why IS what works and it shouldn't be complicated, because in essence....horses are simple creatures. I've used imagery before when performing a horsemanship and showmanship pattern at shows, but I see the pattern in my head...NOT what I should be doing with my cues or body. What I need to do to perform the pattern comes from knowing my horse and riding my horse with the correct cues.

bellalou likes this.
  2. funkybizniz

funkybizniz Full Member

I am very intrigued by the mechanics- I'm not attempting to debate whether Sally Swift's teachings work, because they certainly do. Ultimately what Sally Swift teaches is balanced and correct riding, and people can come by that in many different ways.

3. funkybizniz

funkybizniz Full Member

Not to dig up a dead post, but I wanted to add to this just so I would have it if I ever wanted to go back and look.
    This student is doing a lot better! We ended up doing a lot of exercises and figures where she had to think about something else other than packaging him together constantly. This ended up working very well for her brain and also helped with the horse's mentality of working and maintaining the gait. She also rode my horse a couple of times (a really big guy) and that seemed to help some to get the correct feeling and work on some other issues.
    It seems she reached a small plateau in her riding and has been working through it diligently. They have made significant progress since in a short period of time.