Teaching “Less is More”

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by funkybizniz, Oct 27, 2018.

1. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

*nods head*

The operative word being “Feel“.

MuckMuck likes this.
  2. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Yes it is and I would like to address this...
    Being about feel that is why it is so difficult to put into words and explain it to other people.
    I will also say that one can learn feel. I think everyone has it within them but some people like myself have covered it up and we have to go about the business of uncovering the ability to feel and use our other senses that are available to us outside of the understood Physical Realm.

Intuition, awareness and inspiration make feel possible.the way to the horse is a spiritual journey of and to the authentic self.

RG NIGHT HEIR likes this.
  3. funkybizniz

funkybizniz Full Member

Of course, and we will work on all of this and more. My student is leasing this horse from another woman at our barn, he is fairly new to both of us. He is going very well so far but has some undesirable habits from training with the other woman that we are working on fixing as well as improving him overall.
    Of course when you make transitions up you have to come back down, but I agree that more focus needs to be given to downward transitions to ensure the horse is going forward and maintaining the self-carriage through the transition, and not just applying the brakes.
    My student being a busy rider does not help this horse become reactive to the aids and more forward to the hand, horses learn to tune it out. In the future I think I will try to ride the horse for a short time before she gets on during lessons, I think it was useful this week.

4. funkybizniz

funkybizniz Full Member

I have found it is so important to not only tell your students when something looks good or is correct, but remind them to actively think about what they are currently doing and to feel the correct, not just acknowledge it.

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  5. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

You won't get any pushback from me on that. Sally Swift taught using a lot of imagery. That doesn't work for some people but it works like gangbusters for me.

For forward impulsion, she always told us to imagine a beam of energy shooting out from our center. Nothing about hands or seat or body or pushing, just this image of energy. And by golly, the horse felt it and responded. Because your body unconsciously responds as well, in little minute ways, and the horse picks it up.

If I want straight, I think straight. My body picks up on it, the horse picks up on it - we go straight. If I wiggle around with my legs and my seat and my hands trying to keep my horse straight, my horse wiggles around.

I always find that I ride better when I'm thinking and imagining what I want the horse to do. OP, if you've never tried using imagery, your student might benefit from it. Check out Centered Riding if you never have.

DelP and manesntails like this.
  6. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

You won’t get a kick of push back from me Manes! It is true, but I do believe many horses have been trained to ignore these subtle cues. But within 10mins they can learn to stop ignoring them too :)

Take it one step further - get the student to put into their own words what the correct feels like. Then get them to go back to the wrong way and move again to the correct way. Doesn’t matter that they got it - I mean that’s great, but useless if they can recreate it ;)

manesntails, funkybizniz and ginster like this.
  7. funkybizniz

funkybizniz Full Member

I am familiar with Centered Riding, and I have the book. There’s definitely some truth in it, but it doesn’t work for me. I want to know the deep why, not just what works. I haven’t had great luck personally with imagery. I do like the anecdotes about being present and with the horse.
    That being said, I have used the visualization exercises in there with younger students with good results. I just don’t have any older students that I see a great benefit from.

8. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Well, I would say the “why” is because you’re using your body in harmony with your horse. I’m not really sure how much more “why” anyone would need.

I’m also not sure what age has to do with it. Regardless, it was just a suggestion.

9. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

I thought about you the other day, bellalou...I found centered riding at half price books and bought it. Yay ! Looking forward to reading it.

10. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Agree.....the why is pretty simple really. And riding "centered" and balanced makes total sense.