Teaching “Less is More”

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by funkybizniz, Oct 27, 2018.

1. billz

billz Full Member

I watched a youtube video about this last night presented by Pat Parelli. Now, I'm not an advocate for any one trainer because I don't believe that any of us knows all there is to know. However, Pat was explaining this concept of "less is more" very well, and the idea was new to me as well.

I don't have the link and can't get to that stuff from here, at work, so I can't help with the specifics, but the concept is correct. Pat was pointing out that you have to give the horse time to learn and allow them some time to process the idea while not micro-managing their every more.

I'm going back to read the rest of this thread now...

manesntails likes this.
  2. funkybizniz

funkybizniz Full Member

They aren’t the problem, but the general concensus on the thread was “take the reins away.” I don’t necessarily agree with this but there is always room for improvement and I find with my student if we can get one thing to focus on, it eliminates the “background noise” and It improves the overall picture.
    I worked on a lot of upward transitions into the hand on the long side and though the diagonal. Also controlling the front end via shoulder in. I only rode for ten-fifteen minutes and was having a conversation while doing so.

3. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

To the bold:
    How do you get a horse forward and into your hand when there is no contact - loose rein??? My understanding is that you’re aiming for English riding....so you need to have contact to achieve this.

Also in the 2nd paragraph “keeping the hands forward and light”.....ummm you can’t have light reins. That makes for a flutter rein which the majority of horses detest - like seriously detest as it causes the bit to vibrate in their mouths.

I’m not trying to pick on you, but I’m thinking there’s some genuine either lack of correct wording or education - I can’t quite tell which and am hoping it is wording given you originally said you’re struggling to communicate with the student.

ginster and NaeNae like this.
  4. billz

billz Full Member

The more I read here the more confused I get. I realize how much I don't know or don't understand how to articulate.

5. funkybizniz

funkybizniz Full Member

Perhaps giving rein is a better term- I aim for feeling “light” because it’s easier for me and some of my students to think of not pulling the horse back into the contact.
    If I give the reins forward slightly, the horse should follow the give and change the position of his neck and body.
    I do understand how saying a loose rein is confusing. I don’t mean in the sense of having a slack rein, but a longer rein to allow the horse to stretch into the contact and open the frame.

Rhythm 'n Blues and billz like this.
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I'm gonna say something here and Evvvvveryone is going to jump my backside, tell me I 'm wrong, it doesn't help, yadda, yadda yadda yadda.

But, I'm saying it anyway.
    If you use the part of your body that connects to the largest part of the horse, put energy ONLY INTO YOUR muscles, NOT moving by thrusting it forward with your back, the horse feels that, believe it or not, no matter how thich your saddle is, and responds.

You only slightly tighten and release your thigh, or your butt muscles WITHOUT ever moving your lower back, and that energy change pushes the horse up and forward.

Now, your turn to tell me how wrong that is and how it doesn't work.

No, it won't work while you have reins to fiddle with because it is something you have to learn to do and reins distract a person from it.

7. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Lol...don't worry. We're all winging it. Lol
    Just when you think you have it all figured out, a horse will come along and put you in your place

billz, Oaks, ginster and 4 others like this.
  8. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Then you have to get down to what are symptoms of root causes...self carriage is something that is dynamic and something we will work on for the rest of our lifetimes. Including me. I practice yoga I teach yoga and I have better body control than most people, but still have to work on my position each ride. I have been riding almost 3 decades and am constantly working on my own self carriage.
    So a few things here...a) you need to be able to locate and articulate your students root cause to what the symptoms are that are showing in your lessons via background noise. I'll guarantee you there is some tension that needs to be addressed whether it be mental or physical most root cause is mental or emotional . Learn how to teach breath work and mindfulness trainings

B) what are the root causes of the horse not being Snappy to the AIDS?

So like for this one I would be focusing just as much on downward transitions even backing up then pushing forward into an upward transition to get the hind legs working to push forward into impulsion when cues are given. But I also use a halt as a wait for it... not halting into a coma. Lol

funkybizniz and manesntails like this.
  9. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

There's a difference between EFFECTIVE thinking and INEFFECTIVE thinking.

10. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

it's the overanalyzing and being in my head.Yes I should be thinking according to how my horse feels under me.Honestly,and you may disagree, most riders have issues with not being in present and / or analyzing everything the horse does or doesn't do,then we micromanage the heck out of the horse because yes we have the technical aspect of how to ride but are incapable of feeling the ride.Get my drift?