Tall boot care/conditioning?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Ziast, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

I have a pair of Ariat tall boots that I have abused for years. Rode in them daily with no care. I use them for shows too and honestly they look terrible. I remember a year or so ago going to a show and my trainer accused me of not even cleaning them.

Since I'm getting the zipper repaired on them, I've decided now is as good as a time as any to try and save them. There is no finish left on them and they seem dry(despire being soft ). It's also my understanding that you shouldn't use regular tack cleaning products or oil on them, which is all I have. I also remember seeing my trainer using something on their boots with a soft brush before a class.

Which product should I purchase that will help these boots the best? I'm planning on getting out my paddock boots and chaps again and saving these boots for show for now on.

2. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Sounds like the damage has been done......

It's true one don't want to use regular saddle cleaner/oil/etc on boots. Boots are made of different parts of the hide & require being treated differently otherwise the finish comes off....

So at this point, you're not going to be able to reverse the damage - like you can't put the finish back on. I would get some shoe polish and go to town for a few days or a week and see what you have. No promises they will be good enough to show in, but polish is cheap :)

mooselady likes this.
  3. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

If you get the regular kiwi polish you can build up the layers and make them look good. Get a soft cloth, a round hard brush and a softer brush. Do the layers with the round hard brush, and use the cloth and soft brush to buff them.

They wont get back to original condition, but eventually they will be black and look nice again and be waterproof. For my black cowboy boots I would spit shine them then they were usually good for a bit.

4. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Proper 'spit shine'?

I can picture my Dad teaching me to spit shine my first pair of real jodhpur boots, it was never a chore, it was a matter if pride to make them as shiny as possible....I always did have the best looking boots...

Acornicus likes this.
  5. CabterCrazy

Yep proper spit shine. Or use a touch of water and hair dryer, but that can result in flaking which looks horrid

mooselady likes this.
  6. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

That was my fear. I'm really bad at taking care of my stuff. I just need them to limp me through another season. We're going to a rated show in April, that's my main concern. Once I graduate and find a job I will be able to get another pair(and treat them nice!).
    KIWI® — KIWI® Shoe Polish
    This polish?
    Thanks, I'll see what we have in the closet, otherwise I'll order some. I need to buy a boot bag and trees too (baaad me).

Should I be concerned about the black polish rubbing off on my saddle when I ride in them again?

7. CabterCrazy

That is the polish, and if you buff it before you ride, it should not come off on your saddle

Ziast likes this.
  8. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

buy Urad polish/cream. It's very good at giving new life to old boots. I used to use it on my blundstones when I wore the toes down to grey/white working retail.

9. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Dont polish the inside calf - no one will see it when you're mounted & then no worries about polish on yoir saddle.

I also use kiwi polish.