Talk to me about PPID/Cushing's...

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by DocsLglyBlonde, Jun 11, 2018.

1. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

That's why I asked. i thought palmar angle was part of the rotation. Thanks.

Yeah, my gelding is in wedges for his deep flexor tendons. He has torn them both now. Though this one with me is only a few fibers versus a full tear before I bought him.

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  2. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I understand why wedges would increase Palmar angle, though I am not certain why it would be increased if there is also no rotation (which I know can happen)... Would that just be a case of too tall of heels? Hoof gurus?

3. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

I wish I could answer your question!!! But your mare's heels do not look overly tall. When Sidney foundered, he had some rotation in the front, vet said he had some in the back too, which I don't believe (neither does my farrier who sees changes in the front but not the back). I'm STILL trying to get those rads as a baseline. He's flat shod in heartbar shoes, no wedges and doing great. He's doing well on the Cushings front, but he's dropped more weight than what I want, so I upped his grain again and more hay. I'm going to have him re-tested for the IR when the time is right, because I don't believe he is.

4. DocsLglyBlonde

No, they aren't bad imo, which is why I think getting rid of those wedges will get her looking great!

I know they CAN founder behind, but it's much less common, and I think you would be seeing hoof changes now, and he would have had the pulses, heat, etc behind at the time of foundering. My mare had slightly increased pulses behind back then, but I think solely due to how much pain she was in. I think her pulses everywhere were a little strong, poor thing :(

I just read a study on DDFT stress with a wedge (which I think inevitably will increase Palmar angle) and no wedging, and the wedges actually put more strain on the tendon. Obviously I have no complaints about how my mare recovered and how I was advised to go about managing her, but it's an interesting debate. I cannot remember exactly what my vet and farrier said at the time, but it was something about my mare being more comfortable with her heels lifted that made her opt for a wedge. We started with dense foam pads in her boots and she'd wear the toes down to nothing, and the heel would look like she wasn't even on it. It was strange, but for whatever reason she obviously liked her heels wedged.

Luckily I've had zero issues keeping weight on Jess, and she still has a good appetite, but from the FB groups I'm on and friends' experiences, it can be a huge struggle to keep their weight up. Hopefully a couple tweaks are all that's needed to get Sidney looking better, and hopefully we have a nice easy winter too, for everyone's sake :rolleyez:

GotaDunQH likes this.
  5. DocsLglyBlonde

Here's a weird one for everyone :confused: I've noticed Jessie has been dirty on her right side recently. Two things about this are strange. First, she almost exclusively sleeps on her left side. To be fair, she also almost exclusively sleeps in her stall, so it makes sense to me that she is just most comfortable that way in the smaller space. I've always been a little concerned that she always only sleeps on one side and here I am concerned she's sleeping on the other side now :rolleyes: Secondly, she never naps outside. She'll roll, which I thought was maybe what she was doing, but she never actually sleeps outside, at least not for the last several years. She has a paddock attached to her stall, and I think it would be much nicer to nap outside considering she's a piggy and ends up covered in manure stains when she sleeps inside, but the paddocks are surrounded by woods and she's probably out there alone unless Sam is out with her. I realize this sounds ridiculous that I'm concerned about her acting like a normal horse, but today I got there just before dusk and she was laying in the dirt, in the (light) rain. She was perfectly content, got up right away and was acting totally normal, but it's strange! Every PPID horse I've ever known has been somewhat senile, and I'm afraid she's going to be senile too (laughing not laughing...).

She's been very complacent to come out and work, almost bordering on lethargic for her, yet when she's actually out and working she has plenty of energy and is happy. I don't know if these might be behavior side effects from the Prascend, or if she's maybe just feeling really good and loving life!

I know it's a werid post, but has anyone else had borderline senile side effects from Prascend? Or who knows, maybe it's just that she's happier being medicated now :LOL: Her ACTH levels should come back tomorrow so I'll be curious to see what they are.

She got a haircut today. IMG_20181001_190501.jpg
    The side eye was directed at Samson though :p MVIMG_20181001_190346~2.jpg

6. DocsLglyBlonde

Wedges came off today! My farrier was actually surprised her hoof pastern axis was so broken forward and her Palmar angle was SO high, so definitely thought talking the wedges off was a good call (and was happy to have new rads to work with!). She needs a few days off to let the deep digital flexor tendons stretch to accommodate.

I'll post her very informal hoof photo, but I don't really care for critique since the photo is not great and I know her hooves are not as pretty as before she foundered... I'm very happy with my farrier. They look so purty though now without those clunky wedges :) Screenshot_20181003-110611.png

GotaDunQH likes this.
  7. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Hopefully it works. We did a minor change with Foxy's wedges last spring. Took off his wedge pads and put on wedge shoes instead. Just that minor change was too much for him. Got tendonitis within a couple of weeks and later tore some fibers in his deep flexor tendon. Though he has been on wedge pads like this for seven years, the previous three years higher degree pads. Plus he has no rotation, never foundered, so still a different situation.

Good luck!

8. DocsLglyBlonde

Yay :woot: I called my vet because I hadn't heard back yet about her ACTH test. My vet is still going to call me about them, but the receptionist told me her number was 66! That is a little on the high side, but not bad seasonally, and my vet also drew blood after we put her through the ringer whicg could have elevated it slightly. So, it seems llke the Prascend is definitely working, and I don't expect us to have to increase her dose at all :applaud:

She's been happy to come out and work, and has been sound the last couple weeks, and felt absolutely fabulous yesterday after her second dose of Adequan on Friday. I'm still being careful to not stress those front tendons, but so far so good! She's all clipped and happy happy happy :love:
    IMG_20181007_130753.jpg
    IMG_20181007_130714.jpg

LoveTrail likes this.
  9. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

That's great. I had to look up what Foxy's was for non Cushings and his was 26 last March. I think IR horses are also seasonal too. Foxy looked better in July and lame than he did in September not lame. So he was exercising more, but not looking as healthy. He's looking better already in October with the change in weather, now cold snowy and rainy. Our first freeze will be tonight.

10. DocsLglyBlonde

She's definitely enjoying the cooler weather as well! Normal is usually < ~35, but at the peak of seasonal rise < ~55 or so. My vet said he'd be happy and would likely keep her on the same doseage though if her results came back at anything < 100 this time of year, so I'm thrilled with 66 :)

LoveTrail likes this.