Talk to me about PPID/Cushing's...

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by DocsLglyBlonde, Jun 11, 2018.

1. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Her coat is definitely improving, possibly a combo of the Prascend and new Horsetech supplement. I gave her a good grooming and got lots of fur off of her. She's felt great riding, and is looking shiny, darker, and dapples are coming through again :cheerleader:

Her edema is gone, she is still pretty heat intolerant but not terrible, and her attitude has been really fantastic. I plan on having her levels retested early September to see where we're at. I also broke down and bought Stud Muffin Slims, and she gets one with her pill stuffed inside each morning, and it's easy for me and a guarantee that she'll get her pill, so has been worth it :) Screenshot_2018-07-21-15-10-02-1.png IMG_20180722_201622_107.jpg

Bebe, GONE ROPING, Larkspade and 2 others like this.
  2. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Great. Yep, the darker Foxy gets the better he feels too.

Alsosusieq2 and DocsLglyBlonde like this.
  3. trailridinn

trailridinn Full Member

My 24 year old gelding has had Cushings for 7 years now. He gets a half a mg of Prascend per day and is doing great. I put his half a pill in a piece of an apple or carrot and he never knows it's there. My gelding was on the compounded Pergolide before Prascend came out and has done better with less of a dose on the Prascend.

Baboo, GotaDunQH and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. DocsLglyBlonde

Just to update, Jess gets her levels checked again tomorrow, and I think I'll get new hoof rads too secondary to some mild lameness recently (looked like knee OA and I'm not confident that's not a factor, but now looking footy).

I joined several FB groups, and found the seasonal rise chart, which is very helpful.
    FB_IMG_1537367271660.jpg
    Soaking her hay now as well, because ESC+WSC= ~14%, which she was doing well with, but that with the seasonal rise, plus potentially not having a high enough Prascend dose especially for this time of year has her footy. She's packed with Magic Cushion, in Soft-Rides, got Bute, and butt s feeling much better, but I'm glad the vet is coming out tomorrow. I'll update and see if I can throw her rads up too if I get them. I'm considering Adequan as well, but want to get an idea of what is going on first :) IMG_20180916_121823_558.jpg

froglander, ginster and Baboo like this.
  5. DocsLglyBlonde

Yay yay! Hooves are good as gold! I'm getting the new rads sent to me tonight, but they look great. We are probably going to get rid of her wedges to decrease her palmar angle though. Apparently her looking sore up front yesterday was not related and not a big deal :rolleyes: Her R hock flexed pretty terribly though, so we did new rads and her OA has progressed a little bit. I won't do IA injections with her history, but we both thought starting Adequan would be a good idea. We did another ACTH draw, just knowing it will likely be affected by the seasonal rise. I'm very happy her hooves are happy, and we have answers and can hopefully get her feeling better (y)

Larkspade, Baboo, GotaDunQH and 2 others like this.
  6. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

I have asked the vet in CT, who diagnosed Sidney with foundering.....for the xrays he took, and have gotten NO RESPONSE for months! I don't use this vet...it's the vet my ex-trainers used when Sidney was there for about 6 months. I am getting REALLY ****ed off as I want a baseline for further rads, and quite frankly...I own them as I paid the $1400 bill when he was diagnosed by this guy!!

My current farrier told me the last time he came out, that he knows something "happened" up front because the white line is wider. The vet in CT told me to put shoes back on Sid's back feet, so I followed his instructions.....but my farrier said he sees no changes in anything in the back. But we'll keep it this way until I get another set of rads from my vet up here.

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  7. DocsLglyBlonde

Ugh that's so annoying! I actually have never gotten a copy of her rads from previously, though I saw them after they were taken and they emailed them to my farrier at the time. I could get them if I asked, and I made sure I asked today so I wouldn't forget and so that I could have them for my farrier. Jessie still gets pretty significant white line stretching if she's at all overdue now as well.

That's so annoying though!

8. DocsLglyBlonde

Here are her radiographs for anyone interested (I skipped uploading the other views, but there were more taken). The first two are 4 years ago, and the second set are from today. We definitely want to get rid of that wedge now!

Attached Files:

9. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

So her right front has sunken even more if I am reading it right? But, the left barely changed? Hopefully our hoof gurus can explain more. So wedging didn't work is why you want to stop wedging her?

10. DocsLglyBlonde

Nope. No additional sinking happened, just the palmar angle is more now with the wedge, but the palmar angle is quite high, which is why we want to get rid of the wedges. The wedges were originally to decrease deep digital flexor tendon load, to prevent further rotation. Her sole depth is better now too. To quote my vet "She has a small amount of rotation in the right foot, but it has not progressed since xrays were taken in 2014. Her palmar angle is pretty high right now and her hoof-pastern axis is broken forward." Also I don't know why my one image got cut off, but the original is not cut off on the LF view.