Talk to me about PPID/Cushing's...

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by DocsLglyBlonde, Jun 11, 2018.

1. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Little lady has had a full tune up now. I swore I got her teeth floated last spring, made the appt before the Cushing's dx for this week, then realized they hadn't been done since the fall before, so about a year and a half ago :confused: Oops. My vet came and did her teeth which really needed to be done, and actually found one partially fractured tooth which she said shouldn't bother her because it does not go down to the root or gum line, but to be aware of it in case it fractures through. I'm glad knowing her teeth were in such need of being done, I hadn't been asking much of anything from her recently. While she was there, my vet made me feel really good about everything with her, and said I've manged her so well the last several years and dx'd her early, that she should live many more comfortable and even functional years.

Samson had a little abscess right in his central sulcus which already blew out (thankfully his timing was good and he was totally sound when the vet came, so I didn't feel compelled to pay for an exam on him too :rofl: ), so I feel like I have 2 fairly functional horses again. Jess is doing great so far with her meds and new supplements and everything, so I'm very grateful for that.

This photo of my pretty princess popped up on my FB memories yesterday from 2 years ago :)

Attached Files:

2. DocsLglyBlonde

Miss princess has figured out something is not quite right in her morning food... aka there is a teeny tiny pink pill in the midst of spoonfuls of hay cubes and flax based supplement... so I just whipped up some homemade soft cinnamon pumpkin oat cookies to push her pill into every morning for her :rolleyez: I'm sure she'll get over it after I stop poisoning her meals for a while :rofl: Big stinkers. She still has quite the appetite otherwise though, so I'm thankful she still seems to be doing well with everything (y)

3. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Ugh....going through this now with Sidney! His Cushings (ACTH) came back 95.6 which was nowhere near over the top. He's on one tab of Prascend once a day. His Insulin was 152.62 (normal 10-40), and glucose was 146 (normal 71-122) so those were high, especially the insulin giving him the IR status. I'm going to have his levels checked later this summer, as his feed was changed to Carb Guard and his hay is tested for sugar levels and come out great every time; no need to soak it.

Alsosusieq2 and DocsLglyBlonde like this.
  4. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Haha....I use unsweetned applesauce in Sid's feed and have no problem with him eating everything, even that tiny pink pill.

Alsosusieq2 and DocsLglyBlonde like this.
  5. DocsLglyBlonde

Ugh hopefully you can get that insulin under control. Thankfully Jessie's was good, but I've been literally working on it for years. Sid never looked like an IR horse to me, so hopefully he hasn't been hanging out with high levels for long and will be good with those few changes :) I keep reminding myself of how many horses I've known to live long lives with the disease, and they weren't pictures of health in the end, but they also all could have been managed better.
    The treats are working beautifully, and are pretty low carb for her too. I have a feeling she will eventually not care about the pill being in her food... she's not at all picky, but if she senses I'm trying to drug her she gets wary :rofl:

This can totally become a PPID support group thread... Stupid Cushing's :rolleyez:

GotaDunQH and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  6. slc

slc Senior Member

It's not recommended to crush the pills because of the concern about getting any on your hands/mouth/breathing it in. Since my pony won't take it in food I put on medical gloves, grind the med in a bute buster, gently tap it into a syringe with apple sauce and give it to the horse, then wipe down the table and floor around the area. Turn gloves inside out, put in trash.

7. DocsLglyBlonde

Yup, I try not to handle them much at all, which is where the problem arose. I'd pop one right into her bowl before mixing her food around, thus allowing it to dissolve which she tasted. I'm able to take the whole pill and push it into her cookie without handling it much at all, which is better than worrying about crushing it I think :) Darn ponies really test our creativity!

8. slc

slc Senior Member

You're lucky the horse will take the pill whole.

I'm also worried about my dogs or cats getting into any of the residue. That's why I use the bute buster and wipe down the floor and table.

Since drug tests at shows are extremely sensitive now, I also like to 'keep in practice' at avoiding cross contamination to other horses.

DocsLglyBlonde and LoveTrail like this.
  9. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

I know....right?? He doesn't have cresty neck and the rest of what an IR looks like, which kinda has me baffled.

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  10. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

They say some IR horses can be skinny. Foxy was that last year when he most likely was having problems with his IR. My guess it was much higher than his initial test at 37.4 and current test at 17.3. He had those swollen spots above his eyes which are supposed to be hollow last year. I remember looking at them and wondered about them. Just knew he wasn't feeling well and attributed it to his hives. Now they are slightly dents. He has the slight cresty neck where he looks like he atrophied in front of his withers. And then a small fat pad on top of his tail.

How he looked the day of his 17.3 test. FoxyMay302018headturn.jpg

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.