Talk to me about PPID/Cushing's...

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by DocsLglyBlonde, Jun 11, 2018.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

After they get used to prascend, I think it's important to keep them active if they are sound enough to work. It might be slower work and I wouldn't try to move them up the levels of dressage or jumping or other vigorous sports, but I think it's good to keep them moving and at the same level of work they were in. It's important for weight control but also because it is good for them mentally to maintain their familiar routine. With my old horse he was unsound so it wasn't possible, but I think it helps a lot when they are sound enough.

Agree that it should be checked annually.

2. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

It's been five-plus years and I might not be remembering correctly --- I think when my friend's gelding was diagnosed, the vet was conservative and started the horse on a half dose of Pergolide (this was before Prascend). Within a few weeks my friend felt the horse should be on a full dose but the vet was in the military and had received his overseas orders. For whatever reason, the other vet refused to interfere and made my friend wait until the vet who wrote the prescription got home from Afghanistan, or wherever he was. She always felt that contributed to her horse's faster decline in health. -- the horse was only 22 when he was laid to rest.

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  3. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Miss cutie patootie is getting 1/2 mg for 4 days before getting bumped up to 1 mg. After doing some research, building up for a few days before reaching the full dose seems to be recommended to avoid side effects as much as possible. She got her second half dose tonight and so far so good (*knocks on wood*). She also got her first dose of the new Smartpak supplement tonight too which will hopefully help out a little bit as well. I plan to keep her active and fit, but will be taking a break from lessons and any overly strenuous activity, at least until she is acclimated to the Prascend and I can evaluate how she's doing on it. Screenshot_2018-06-16-00-09-32-1.png

4. slc

slc Senior Member

Prascend is a brand name of pergolide. In other words they're the same thing.

5. DocsLglyBlonde

I think I remember reading that Prascend is a more stable form of pergolide, so it may be recommended to start at a lower dose of Prascend if you were to switch over from the compounded liquid pergolide, but otherwise yes, they are the same drug :)

I may just be imagining, but she seems a little brighter eyed and bushy tailed today :rolleyes: She was very mareish yesterday (not in a negative way with me, but maybe in a negative way with Samson :rofl: ). I know Prascend can take 3 months to really start being effective, but would I be noticing changes subtle changes already? I would think not, but feel like I have seen some little differences already. She got a bath and was shedding shedding SHEDDING last night, which I know is not from anything I've done this week, but I'm glad she's shedding some more!! She got her 1/2 dose this morning, then will get her first full dose tomorrow am. She is being a little picky with her hay, but not bad, so I'm optimistic that she'll do ok on the 1 mg :)

Attached Files:

Alsosusieq2 and Dona Worry like this.
  6. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

I'm glad you've got a diagnosis & treatment started. I don't have anything to offer in regards to the symptoms, meds or anything like that. But thought I'd offer some support! :)

Also wanted to suggest that you connect with someone to sharpen your clipping blades. When I use to do my modified irish clips on 3 horses, I had 2 (maybe 3 at most) #10 blades for my Andi 2 speed clippers. It was always December in Canada by the time I did any clipping (away for work in Oct/Nov) so bathing was not an option as we do not have a heated barn, or warm water. Anyways, My clippers needed sharpening after those 3 hoses were done. I *might* squeeze in the old man to be clipped, but I was pushing it. Don't buy new blades. Find a really good guy who can sharpen them for you. It will make all the world of a difference, and then I bet you won't feel like you need better clippers. I have the local skate guy sharpen mine - he ROCKS at it & is very reasonable & fast. If your skate guy doesn't do it, ask your hair dresser - they will have blades sharpened all the time! Otherwise as a dog groomer who they use. I find some dog groomers & hair dressers mail their blades away for this service. That wouldn't be a bad idea, if you had 2 blades you switched out to get through 1 full clip on the princess and then immediately mailed them off to have them sharpened. That way they would be back with plenty of time before the next clipping was due. Me, I much prefer dropping them off at the ice rink and then picking them back up, but I also have that luxury of plenty of ice here! hahahaha

7. DocsLglyBlonde

Thank you for the support :heartbeat:

I think I decided to keep my clippers, and just make sure I keep up with her clipping so it's never a huge job. Hopefully her meds help her coat as well. I have 6 blades I think, and definitely need to find someplace to sharpen them... I agree that if I keep them sharp and stay on top of her coat, they can do the job well. I found one place to ship them out to, but those other places to check out are a fantastic idea! Thank you!!!

Rhythm 'n Blues and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  8. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

If your blades are sharp, you shouldn't have any issues even if you don't keep up on the clipping. Not any issues with the clippers themselves anyways. Horse hair doesn't hold a candle to some dog coats, which those andis are predominantly made to go through day in & day out :)

9. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

This is where the phrase "the same but different" applies:). This link explains it far better than I can.

Pergolide vs. Prascend? | Prascend for Horses

10. slc

slc Senior Member

I read the article before. Once again, the active ingredient is the same. Prascend is what is licensed to treat horses.