Tail wraps, how long to leave on?

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by Wild Foal, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Wild Foal

Wild Foal Senior Member+

Ok Starlight has started rubbing the top of her tail out. I got a Professional's Choice tail wrap. I covers just the dock. Now, my question was can I leave it on all week and take it off about 5 hours on Sundays? Whats the risk? Please help.

Holly

2. AllAroundRdr

AllAroundRdr Senior Member+

The Pro Choice Tail Wraps are used for trailering and to prevent rubs while being trailered -- a lot of us use them on show tails the morning off with gel/hair spray to prevent fly aways at the top of the tail.

Neoprene SWEATS which is going to make your horse itch even more and rub even more.

My suggestion is to find out what's CAUSING your horse to rub.

Have you cleaned her teats?
    Is she parasite free?
    Have you treated her tail for possible fungal problems?
    Have you made sure there's no sweat build-up and/or dirt/sand between her back legs?

3. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator

ANY tail wrap that goes around the dock is NOT MEANT to be left on for a long period of time. If it is, you could harm your horses tail. The tail can literally die, and fall off.

4. Wild Foal

Wild Foal Senior Member+

Ok thanks guys. I was afraid of that. ** walks off and put the tail wraps in the "will never use" tack box**

Holly

5. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator

The tail wrap is great to have for keeping a tail tidy for a trailer ride to a show...it's just not a long term use item. I have them and use them for my horses who like to rub their butts in the trailer ;) :)