1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Tail cords on Blankets

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by diamondwillow, Jul 19, 2008.

1. diamondwillow

diamondwillow Registered

Hi,
    I am brand new here and I have a question that has baffled me for a while and I think this is the PERFECT place to ask!
    I was away from horses for quite a while and recently got back 'into' them. I bought some blankets for my new horses and they all have tail cords (NEVER had those when I worked with them years ago)... HOW does one use the tail cord? I just tie it to itself or remove it completely since it gets covered in manure and is ugly. Do you actually TIE it to the tail? IF so, How? Anyway - I would be VERY grateful for some assistance!! I tried a few google searches and I haven't be successful in finding information on how to use it.

2. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member

Usually tail cords are just on day sheets. And/or sheets without leg straps.

It just goes under the tail and attaches back to the blanket.

3. diamondwillow

diamondwillow Registered

WOW, Ok thanks! - They came on my winter polyfil blankets, summer sheets, coolers, fly sheets etc... but if I remember none on the turn out shell... (I would have to check that one) they all have (except coolers) leg straps, and tail guards... interesting!! So I suppose by tying it back to itself I was doing the right thing. any special knot or bow I should use?

4. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member

If they have leg straps, I usually just take them off.

5. Faith04

Faith04 Senior Member+

Ahhhhh the pointless poo cord!! They are reletively useless, and like above, if the rug has legs straps they are of no use and I cut the off!

6. Fancy's Joe

Fancy's Joe Senior Member

I just pull them off XD

7. diamondwillow

diamondwillow Registered

Thanks to all! :) now I don't feel so naughty that I pulled them off most of my blankets :) They were so messy...