Tack cleaning

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Willow&Oz, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Willow&Oz

Willow&Oz Full Member

With show season coming up soon, I've come to the sudden realization that I should probably clean my tack. Only issue is I have no idea how to go about doing that....:help: I haven't EVER cleaned any of my tack besides a quick wipe down with a cloth if it's sweaty or dusty. I've had all this tack for about a year so it's pretty dirty. So for leather tack (I.E. saddle, headstall, reins, etc.), what's the best product(s) to use?? I've seen solid glycerin soaps, liquid glycerin soaps, all in one cleaners and conditioners, and separate leather conditioners. I've also got a mohair roper cinch and a felt saddle pad that need to be cleaned but don't know how to do that either I figure the cinch can be washed in a bucket with horse safe detergent but what about the felt pad..... I'm very lost here and don't know anything about cleaning tack. :willynilly: Please send help

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  2. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

For leather tack, I use a bar of Castile soap that I suds up a warm wet rag with, and get the tack nice and sudsy. I take a clean rag and rinse off the soap. I let that fully dry.

For a conditioner, I love balsam over oil for regular use, and really like Effax Lederbalsam. Oil based conditioners can break down stitching and leather if over used. If it is really dry leather, I'll use an oil based conditioner (neatsfoot oil if I don't mind the leather darkening, or Lexol conditioner works well and I don't think darkens leather), let that soak in, then use a balsam the next time around.

I don't have much experience with western tack, but I'd vacuum the pad to see how far that goes in getting it clean, assuming it's felt. I really like Leather Therapy Wash to clean leather in between deep cleanings but especially for all other tack (boots, nylon, girths between deep cleans... Not sure how it would be on Mohair though).

3. SparkleDust

SparkleDust Senior Member

When you're drying your saddle, don't leave it in the sun! That's one way to ruin a good saddle.

Alsosusieq2 and CJ like this.
  4. Willow&Oz

Willow&Oz Full Member

Thanks for all the info! It's such a great help. And I never thought about vacuuming a saddle pad but that makes so much sense now.

5. CJ

CJ Senior Member

I Asked a local cobbler what he likes, looking for 'trade secret' and he said LEXOL products!
    Ive used Lexol cleaner, conditioner, and Neatsfoot added version.
    Murphys oil soap is a good cleaner, but requires an oil followup, does Not oil the leather in the process.
    Horsemans OneStep cream conditions pretty nicely, but can leave a waxy white residue later.
    I like Hydrophane a lot, lil expensive but does a nice job.
    Include enough time to put a layer of saddle soap over the conditioner, to keep it in, off clothes, and from evaporating. I like Leather New foam or spray, but its not really a conditioner, not the saddle soap/ foam.
    It can be amazing how a much-needed conditioning can change and improve the flexibility and ride of even slightly neglected leather. It may even get quieter; if its creak/squeaking, 'feed it'.

6. FaeriesFaith

FaeriesFaith Senior Member

A shedding blade to the underside if the pad to pull the hair off. Just gently and vaccuum as you go. I use my Sheddie Eddie on the under side of my felt/wool and even the felt cinch to pull the hair off
    sheddieeddie

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Theyre kinda like cars: find a slightly shady spot to 'wash & wax' it.
    They dont take kindly to being done in strong, direct sun, saddles especially.

Alsosusieq2 and SparkleDust like this.
  8. Willow&Oz

Willow&Oz Full Member

Love the analogy here!

What about cleaning synthetic leather? My flank cinch is synthetic so do I need something different for that or can I just use whatever saddle cleaner I end up buying on that as well? And for 'sealing' in the conditioner is it best to use glycerin soap or saddle soap?? I don't quite know the difference but they're marketed as different products so I'm not sure.

Thanks for all the input on products to use! I've certainly got my Saturday plans figured out now.

9. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I REALLY like Leather Therapy Wash for synthetic stuff, but I would imagine whatever cleaner you use would be just fine :)

I don't like the residue Glycerin leaves. With a balsam, there's no need to "seal" anything in. The balsam itself will create a nice barrier from the elements.

10. Tack Collector

Tack Collector Senior Member

If you have light oil western tack that you don't want to darken, use the Bick 4 products. You can't clean or condition light oil much or it will darken.