Swollen Sheath - What is this?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by livelaughride, Mar 19, 2017.

1. livelaughride

livelaughride Full Member

Mystery of the day - what is this, how do we think it happened, and what to do about it? I noticed my gelding's sheath looked swollen, and upon closer inspection, he has the appearance of growing 2 extra fuzzy peaches in the wrong place. I only noticed it today, and it doesn't appear to be swollen inside, just what you can see. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, but I'm more concerned that swelling in the area might impede his ability to pee. Ideas?

[​IMG]

2. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member

Picture doesn't work, but where abouts are these "extra fuzzy peaches"? How big? Maybe lymph nodes? A horsey UTI?

3. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

Your photo isn't loading.

Is he on a round bale?

Have you cleaned his sheath lately?

4. livelaughride

livelaughride Full Member

Does the photo work now?

Yes he is on a round bale, last time he was sheath cleaned was in the summer. Checked for a bean (but no cleaning) a month or two ago. Wouldn't hurt to clean it again soon, I've just been waiting for the deep freeze to end. He doesn't usually get excessively dirty, unlike other horses I've had.

Attached Files:

5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

That sure is different-!! I was expecting a little something not a what-!!

Idk myself, fax it to the vet would be the best advice.

manesntails likes this.
  6. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

Yup,call the vet.!!!

manesntails likes this.
  7. horseingreyflannelsuit

horseingreyflannelsuit Senior Member

There's an irritant of some sort going on. Just laying down and getting up can get something stuck in the sheath somewhere in the back of it. You've only mentioned checking for a bean, recently. Smegma, the waxy goo that is inside of the sheath can collect minute amount of dirt, grit and skin cells way up inside the sheath and cause an irritation. You need to put your hand and arm way back in there and hunt around and clean the very back of the sheath as well as his penis. Clean out any smegma that is in there. I've been told that cleaning should be done every 6 months, not just when the penis is dirty. If after a very thorough cleaning of the back of the sheath, it doesn't clear up in a day or two, you definitely need to call out a vet.

8. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member

I would go easy on the cleaning, if you decide to do that. If you get too rough down there it could just irritate things worse. I would check for any debris/foreign objects and remove anything, but that's about it. A good rule of thumb is to either never, or rarely ever, use soap on the private parts of just about anything. The smegma is there for a reason (similar to why ears make earwax), and if it isn't building up excessively, it is NOT the problem.

Has he been on the same level of turnout lately? I had an injured gelding once who had to be on strict stall rest for a short period and ended up stocking up a bit in the legs. But one of the first places to get swollen was right there around the sheath. It looked just like that.

9. slc

slc Senior Member

That does not look so good.

zomer and manesntails like this.
  10. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

I had a gelding swell up once. I cold hosed him and ended up taking him to the vet. He got a good cleaning (no bean.) He was put on steroids, and I had to keep cold hosing. W

We never really figured out what caused him to swell. It happened once in two years of owning him.

manesntails likes this.