Swollen sheath and some form of bump on the belly! *PICS* *UPDATE post 10*

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by BoldRush, Apr 5, 2009.

1. BoldRush

BoldRush Senior Member

I took Dublin out today to go for a ride and I noticed this lump, bump thing on his stomach. Then I look and notice the left side of his sheath is swollen! The right is a little bit, too..but definitely not as much. I have no idea what could have happened.

When I first touched it, he twitched his skin, but afterward he was fine with it. At first it felt like an air pocket, but when you pushed or squeezed it a bit more, you could feel it able to move around - so..probably not air filled.

His sheath is swollen and is more sensitive to the touch towards the top where it is closest to the body.

I got some pictures of both of them. Any ideas??? A very trustworthy person there said her horse had the same thing and it went away in 2 days. If I don't see any difference or it gets worse in that time - I will definitely call out the vet. However, right now it isn't bothering him, but it's bothering me so I'm just looking for some ideas or hypotheticals.

Sorry for the grain-pixel-ness.

This is the left..where everything is more evident.
    [​IMG]

Left side again.
    [​IMG]

Bump from behind left - diagonal-ish view.
    [​IMG]

Three-quarter view - left side.
    [​IMG]

Right side. You can see how much more the left side is swollen than the right.
    [​IMG]

Bump from right side.
    [​IMG]

This shows the left and right comparison again. Side view so you get a good idea of how it's different in size.
    [​IMG]

Thanks so much for looking! Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

2. XxLiveToRidexX

XxLiveToRidexX Senior Member

Wow....very interesting....hmm...no ideas from me....

3. Nickers2002

Nickers2002 Senior Member

I would definately call the vet, preferably ASAP. A swollen sheath is nothing to mess with - especially with something swollen in front of it IMO. Has he urinated since you noticed the swelling? I knew a pony that had a swollen sheath, it was caused by a bean blocking the opening of the penis. He was sedated to remove it and be cleaned and then he had to be on antibiotics.

Sara

4. artillarypark

artillarypark Full Member

Have you cleaned his shealth recently, or checked for beans? He may be in need of a good shealth cleaning. As for the lump, check for any cuts, scrapes or punctures. Do you notice any difference for the time of day, or after turnout (for both the shealth and the lump)?

5. BoldRush

BoldRush Senior Member

He was cleaned about 2 weeks ago. Vet cleaned him inside and got the bean, I did the other stuff. And just to be on the safe side I checked for more beans. None in there. He has peed, twice, when I was there. That is normal for him.

I checked for any cuts or punctures on the bump - nothing there. :no:

I noticed his sheath had gone down a bit after riding - but not the bump.

6. FarFromOver

FarFromOver Senior Member+

Looks like edema to me. We had a horse with this issue last year and the vet said to work him. He also recommended cleaning his sheath, but I see you got that covered. I'd probably still check with my vet if I was you.

7. BoldRush

BoldRush Senior Member

Anyone else??

8. ThreeLayers

ThreeLayers Full Member

I just googled "hernia" images and saw this on "scrotal hernia." Don't be too alarmed, though -- I'm just googling. Have no experience with this.

scrotal h. — inguinal hernia which has passed into the scrotum. When these become strangulated they cause severe abdominal pain and acute local swelling. In large animals the tightened spermatic cord can be felt disappearing into the inguinal canal. See also intestinal obstruction.

[​IMG]

9. poniesnpitbulls

poniesnpitbulls Full Member

This may be an off the wall idea...pending the weather where you are...but are there any bees around? The lump looks like a reaction to a bee sting. And he may have been stung on his ya know as well...its just a thought..I'd call out the vet anyways..better safe than sorry, swollen boy parts is never nice. Poor guy!!!

10. BoldRush

BoldRush Senior Member

Just wanted to give an update...as of tonight, everything is back to normal. Sheath is normal size, and the lump has disappeared. No sensitivity in either of those areas either. :) Not sure what it was...but he seemed like his good ol' self again!