Swollen in front of udders

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by uncanny580, Oct 5, 2017.

1. uncanny580

uncanny580 Senior Member

Horse has perfect timing since I am supposed to leave tomorrow to head to my parents for Canadian Thanksgiving.

Anywho,

She has a swelling in front of her udders, thats the overall circumference of a grapefruit, but only sticks down about 1cm. It is also quite warm and she doesn't want you to touch it.

She has something similar happen in the Spring and vet looked at it but thought it was just a fat pocket because mare was quite rotund coming out of winter. Went on a diet and it went away.

Pooping normal, eating normal, acting normal.

Only change is that they put round bales in on either tuesday or wednesday. She is back on hay.

Any thoughts?

Email is off to the vet for the night, and I will call in the morning to see if they can come out. If the swelling is gone in the morning and no longer hot I will probably put the vet off till after the long weekend.

ETA: There is a lady at the barn that is a "communicator" and does Reiki. She communicated with her and did some reiki and as soon as she did that Luna started licking and chewing and allowed us to touch her everywhere down there without any grumpiness. She couldn't get an "answer" from her as to what exactly was bugging her but the Reiki stuff sure helped in some way!

2. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

My mare had this and it was indeed fat deposits. I think soy in her diet was also a contributing factor. Mastitis *may* be possible, but I would doubt it since it is usually the udder itself that is swollen. If it remains hot though, I'd treat it like an infx anyways. I believe clover and other weeds can produce something similar as well.

3. uncanny580

uncanny580 Senior Member

Were they hot?

She has ballooned already on the hay, but she isn't as fat as she was in the spring.

Mastitits was something my vet thought in the spring but it went away and it was not hot at all that go around anyways. That would be just my luck though. I am thinking it is some sort of infection so the vet is coming this afternoon to check her out for me.

They weren't so hot this morning but it seemed like more of her belly was tender.

4. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

If this is seasonal, it is most likely a reaction to No See Ums or other biting insects that are most active in the fall and spring weather. Get some Fungusol Ointment which has Tea Tree oil in a Vaseline base and coat her udder and the swollen parts with a nice thick coat and it will prevent the bugs from biting and help clear up any secondary bacterial or fungal issues.

5. uncanny580

uncanny580 Senior Member

We don't seem to have them in this area. We had a pretty bug free summer at our barn this year due to the million dragon fly's. There are also no bites in the area. In the past she has never reacted to them, and if she was bit there were obvious bites in the area.

Idk if I put this in my original post, but as a foal, her umbelical cord became infected and she had to have it removed surgically. Well that was over 8 years ago now. And its the same clinic that I am using that did it and the vet in the spring did not think they were associated at all.

6. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

It was hard for me to tell honestly. It was like a firm, pitting edema when she had it and it always felt warm, but that area is very vascular and tends to be warm regardless. I wouldn't have described it as hot, but the vet gave antibiotics just in case (she was not my favorite vet, but I don't think antibiotics were necessarily the wrong course of action). The area was weeping at one point because it was so swelled. It honestly didn't present like fat deposits, but with weight loss and cutting out soy, they went away completely and haven't come back. She had them for at least a year I'd say, and they would fluctuate but never go away completely (so I assume is was a combination of fatty deposits and edema :confused:).

7. uncanny580

uncanny580 Senior Member

Vet was out and did a repro ultea sound. This seems to be directed to her hest cycles.

So since the spring was her first real hest of the year and this is coming up on her last one, it seems to be strongly impacting her.
    She talked about the levels of estrogen in her and that we will keep an eye on her next year to see if she should be on depo or something.

She's on grass hay and a scoop of all in one and a handful of I think step 3 so I am going to see what's in the supplement and see if that is increasing her estrogen levels at all.

DocsLglyBlonde and mooselady like this.