Swelling on head just above eyes

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Gus_Belle, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Gus_Belle

Gus_Belle Full Member

First of all, what are the little hollows right above the eyes called? Second, Belle's are swollen. Both of them. She looks like she has four eyes. They are a decent size and very puffy, like soft to the touch. She doesn't really like for them to be touched, but isn't terribly bothered by it. What could have caused this and is it serious?

2. Deb

Deb Senior Member+

The only time I have ever seen this was in a mare who had Cushings Disease. Is this a recent thing with your horse?

3. Temposmom

Temposmom Senior Member+

IR, Cushings can cause it, also obesity, don't know what else. My old horse had that for several years, then they just went away. I didn't have any other "signs" of metabolic issues, but was sure happy when his "dents" came back.

4. Gus_Belle

Gus_Belle Full Member

I just noticed them yesterday, but Jimmy said they have been slowly growing over the past week or so.

5. Gus_Belle

Gus_Belle Full Member

Is there a possibility that it could be due to some kind of allergy? Like maybe from the hay or something like that?

6. Gus_Belle

Gus_Belle Full Member

I did some research on Cushings and Belle matches a few other symptoms, but not many. She is a rescue that was in a BAD way when we got her. My research says that Cushings is inhanced by stress. Correct me if I am wrong. Wouldn't she have been stressed then and the "dents" swollen at that time?

7. WildHorseSpirit

WildHorseSpirit Senior Member+

I would get your horse checked for IR and Cushings.
    My IR mare gets these when her blood sugar goes up a bit.
    They come and go at different times.
    I would use that as an indicator should she come back IR or Cushings.
    My mare showed a normal blood sugar but low thyroid on the first test and months later it showed a high blood sugar so I recommend at least 2 tests spaced apart for definate diagnosis.

8. Gus_Belle

Gus_Belle Full Member

Thank you very much. If you don't mind, can you tell me how much the test costs? And maybe tell me more about IR? I am unfamiliar with this.

9. Ryle

Ryle Senior Member+

Here is a good link on IR & Cushing's disease in horses:
    http://www.thehorse.com/pdf/aaep/obese.pdf

The depressions above the eyes are the temporal fossa (a large depression in the skull at the temporal bone) and it's where the top of the bone of the lower jaw fits into the skull and moves to allow chewing. You can see swelling in this area with obesity, IR, Cushing's disease, or local infections.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
    Gus_Belle likes this.
  10. WildHorseSpirit

WildHorseSpirit Senior Member+

My test was around $150 maybe a bit less I know it is expensive but to make sure you don't go through what I did, no she didn't yes she did thing. Man talk about a nail biter!

I forgot it also can show infection thanks for that reminder Ryle!

Gus_Belle likes this.