Swapping out alfalfa cubes for beet pulp?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by WP Blue, Oct 12, 2017.

1. WP Blue

WP Blue Senior Member

I have a 30 year old gelding who is currently on a mash of alfalfa/timothy cubes, alfalfa pellets, and Haystacks Special Blend, and about 1/2 flake of alfalfa AM and PM. With the temperatures dropping, it takes forever for the cubes to break down into a mash. Their quality has been questionable as well (I found plastic pieces in the cubes of the last bag I bought). My question is, can I substitute beet pulp shreds for the cubes? My main concern is fiber intake. I board and so it's not possible for me to add warm water to the feedings - I will ask the BO about doing this, but in the event that it's not a possibility, I'd rather have a game plan now before winter hits. Thanks for reading!

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You can but the beet pulp should also be soaked, so you will have the same issue.

Buy a hot water heater that you can put in a bucket of water, plug in, and have hot water to soak the cubes in.

Or, an electric kettle for heating tea water will do, but takes longer.

3. WP Blue

WP Blue Senior Member

Thanks, those are some good ideas. I'm currently giving him a beet pulp shreds as well in the evenings. I let his mash soak for about 3 hours while I'm at the barn. The pellets and BP are completely soaked and soft, but the cubes are still rock hard. Maybe I will start bringing some hot water from home so at least he can have cubes overnight, and switch to BP/pellets in the AM for the barn owner to feed. SO much to think about with these oldies!

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Are you also giving him a probiotic in his feed? That suppluments digestive enzymes that older horses tend to produce less of and will help him absorb more nutrition from his food.

5. Puddincup

Puddincup Full Member

Find out if your feed store will sell alfalfa pellets instead of cubes. Lots less soaking time and my horses seem to prefer them...at the moment anyway:rolleyez:

Edit: sorry I reread. I should post after 11 pm because I miss so much when I read. But can you up the alfalfa pellets if the cubes don't work? Or is there a reason it must be cubes?

6. .Delete.

.Delete. Senior Member

Alfalfa pellets would be a good alternative, I wouldn't swap alfalfa for beet pulp, alfalfa is far more valuable from a nutrition standpoint.

Circle C and WP Blue like this.
  7. cassandra01000

cassandra01000 Senior Member

Could you not soak a whole days worth and re do it each night for the following day if your there in the evenings? That’s what I do with mine. I soak it in a Rubbermaid overnight so that it’s good to get fed the next morning and evening.

WP Blue and NaeNae like this.
  8. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Myself as well. I soak the day before, and while yes, I will eventually deal with freezing too, I'm just going to get a kettle to boil some water and then the cubes expand in minutes.

I must be lucky with my brand of cubes, even if I forget to soak the day before, they are usually soaked fully within 40 minutes of adding water.

manesntails likes this.
  9. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

10. Puddincup

Puddincup Full Member