Swamp Cancer. The perils of Pythiosis.

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by meljean, Dec 28, 2018.

1. meljean

meljean Senior Member

A woman on a FB group lost her horse to this, it was misdiagnosed by 2 vets, her vet was out of town, but when he came back he knew immediately what it was.

I have posted her story and photos in the comment below this.

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/swamp-cancer-increasing-threat-equine-pythiosis

"Swamp cancer": The increasing threat of equine pythiosis
    Know when to suspect this fungal infection so you can prevent its generally fatal consequences
    [​IMG]
    Mar 01, 2011
    By Kenneth Marcella, DVM
    DVM360 MAGAZINE
    Next

Pythiosis is a relatively uncommon fungal-like infection causing cutaneous or subcutaneous, gastrointestinal, respiratory or multisystemic disease in many species of animals including humans. Horses are most commonly infected, and the devastating tumor-like nodular skin masses seen in these cases are likely to be remembered long after the actual name of the organism—Pythium insidiosum—is forgotten. The extremely rapid rate of growth of these lesions and the generally fatal outcome in these cases makes remembering this disease crucial for equine practitioners since early recognition and appropriate treatment are the only hope for survival for infected horse

More in the above link.

qw.jpg

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  2. meljean

meljean Senior Member

From J. She gave me permission to post this and the photos.

She has given permission and I will share her story.

From J.

This is information that I found out the hard way and thought I might share if you happen to encounter it. I just had to put down my horse, she had *Pythiosis*, I had never heard of this. It is a fungal infection that can be found in standing water that comes in contact with an open area. It behaves like cancer, spreads very rapidly it is commonly called *Swamp Cancer* the outcome is usually fatal, it causes severe tissue damage and intense itching. It can be misdiagnosed as a fence wire injury or even a snake bite. I came home to find my horse limping on her back leg, after inspection I thought she had gotten hung in some wire, but I had no wire around her. My vet was out of town so I sent him some pictures and started antibiotics and daily wound care, each day waiting to see improvement but only that it seem to be getting larger, I had another vet to look and his opinion was a snake bite with tissue necrosis, so I became more aggressive with antibiotics and daily wound care, and the then came that awful smell, omg it was horrendous, it just kept getting bigger, well to make a long story short my vet seen her an immediately told me she had Pythiosis and she would have to be put down, at this point I knew I had done everything I could, what was so hard is she never list her spirit or will to live, she had a great appetite, and limped around anywhere you asked her to go. I will miss her. I am not a vet, not trying to teach, just sharing my experience. Going to post some pictures and they're not pretty.

ETA: pythiosis 1st day.jpg pythiosis 3rd day.jpg pythiosis 6th day.jpg pythiosis 9th day.jpg pythiosis 13th day.jpg pythiosis last day.jpg From day one, where toe is resting on the ground, to the last day when horse was put down, took 2 weeks. With care and antibiotics. Photos were taken about every 3rd day that I posted here.

ginster and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

That's horrible.

4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Oh wow.....

5. Copper17

Copper17 Full Member

I just read an article where they said this is affecting the chincoteague ponies

Arem and Puddincup like this.
  6. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

Yikes. I know a few horses were affected here during Harvey. It was a tough time.

7. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

There have been quite a few talks about this at veterinary conferences because it is now being found in a much wider area. Scary stuff

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Well, with climate change it's going to be more prevalent. I feel bad for the Chincoteague ponies, that's too bad.

turnnburnlynx likes this.
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

There is some scramble to get a vaccine for pythosis.

10. FluffyThoroughbred

FluffyThoroughbred Full Member