Suspensory Ligament strain

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by GONE ROPING, Jun 17, 2018.

1. GONE ROPING

GONE ROPING Senior Member+

Tell me what you guys know about front end suspensory ligament strains. Looks like Remi strained or has a tear in a suspensory ligament. Pretty sound trotting straight. Lame trotting on a small circle. Better on soft footing, worse on hard footing. No swelling or heat in her leg. She does have a tendency to hyperextend occasionally and I'm scared that caused it and we may have more problems with this in the future. Monday we have an appointment to get it ultrasounded and whatever else needs to happen. This happened on Wednesday. She's been resting since then and looks almost sound now but still takes some off steps at a trot and still favors it a bit. Huge improvement, but she still is not right.

So can you tell me about your experience with suspensory ligament issues? Rehab program? And if they were able to return to the same level of work? I'm just trying to gather as much information as I can.

2. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I would be icing it at least twice a day while you wait to see the vet. Anything you can do to reduce any inflammation is a good thing. So I would ice, apply poultice and wrap (wrap both legs). I wouldn't be asking her to trot - wait for the vet to do that. I'd have her on complete stall rest, doing the ice and poultice.

As for rehab, I've rehabbed a few tendons. A lot depends on whether it's strained or actually torn, and the extent of damage. The ultrasound will help you with that. I'm very slow and conservative when I bring them back. Short hand walking at first, increasing slowly. Add trotting in hand on hard ground for short periods. Move to a paddock where they can move around but don't have to go up and down hills once they've begun to take longer walk/trot periods.

I don't claim to be an expert - @manesntails probably has more experience and knowledge on the subject. I work under the guidance of my vet and we've successfully rehabbed a few tendons, with the horse coming back to full work and no further issues. It's a careful balance of putting enough of a load on it to help it along without overdoing it, or taking it too fast.

ginster and GONE ROPING like this.
  3. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

In my experience typically tendon and ligament problems get worse on soft footing and have swelling. If the leg seems dry, I would be thinking abcess, sprung shoe or bruise.

ginster and GONE ROPING like this.
  4. GONE ROPING

There is literally no swelling anywhere. I'm stumped. And it doesnt seem at all like an abcess. A stone bruise would be a possibility but I just dont know. At first everyone was saying it looked like a issue in her suspensory. But now I don't know.

5. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Can you post a vid of her walking and trotting?

6. slc

slc Senior Member

There isn't necessarily a noticeable swelling with suspensory injuries. My horse's suspensory didn't swell up.

With my horse it was diagnosed by ultrasound. Followed by 2 weeks, I think it was, of stall rest with brief handwalking. Then riding briefly at a walk for, I think 4 weeks. No turnout. Cold hosing at least twice a day, 20 minutes. A gradual return to work starting with some just trotting.

My horse did very well and made a complete recovery. Ultrasound to confirm healing.

GONE ROPING likes this.
  7. GONE ROPING

So today she was pretty much completely sound at the trot. No head bob at all. Just looked a touch sore which makes me wonder if it wasn't a stone bruise? But she is shod? I guess that doesnt really matter. I'll probably still give her a week or more off still. I can't decide if I should cancel her appointment Monday or not? Should I still take her in? I am prone to be too vet happy. But I just want to do the right thing by her!

8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Bull.^^^^^

If she strained a suspensory, you should feel heat and swelling.

Might be deep digital flexor, THOSE can flare up without any noticable heat. Cold hose and wait for the vet.

9. GONE ROPING

So she is pretty much completely sound today. No head bob or anything. Do you think I should still have my vet check her out? I have an appointment tomorrow but I can't decide if I should keep it or cancel it. Every day she is looking much better.

10. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Your horse can get a stone bruise with shoes....

I’m lucky in that my farrier lives very close tme and I would generally call him first for something like this and have him pull the shoe check it for levleness and hoof test. I recently had horse go off with very similar symptoms and he had sprung is shoe by less than 1/16 of inch, you could barely see daylight between the hoof and shoe. Call your vet in that AM and discuss the improvement and see what they advise.

GONE ROPING likes this.