Surpass? Anyone used it?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by AvidEquestrian, Jun 29, 2012.

1. AvidEquestrian

AvidEquestrian Senior Member

Just wondering if anyone had used this before. It was a name mentioned in a discussion with the vet and just wondered if anyone had any personal experinces with it?

2. GottaRide

GottaRide Senior Member

I have used it.
    My horse is used to 24/7 turnout so when he goes to shows & has to be stalled with a concrete floor, he gets a little stiff & achey. I use the Surpass on his hocks to give him some relief & make him comfortable. I know it works cuz my hands feel it working if I forget to use rubber gloves when I apply it to my horse.

3. OhSoAppy

OhSoAppy Senior Member

Yes, I used Surpass on Vinnie back in May. He had bruised the back of his heel, and was sore. I do recommend wearing gloves while applying it.

4. Ryle

Ryle Senior Member

Yes, Surpass is an effective NSAID that can be used to specifically target an area where inflammation is an issue. HOWEVER it is labelled to only be applied to one area at a time at the recommended dose otherwise just like with other NSAIDs you increase the risk of adverse events. Even though it is applied topically, it still can cause GI ulcers, etc because it does hit the blood stream and affect more than just the joint applied to, it's just that the area where it is applied gets the most effect. YOU MUST wear gloves when using this product as it will absorb through your skin and comes with the same risk of toxicity and adverse effects for you that it does for your horse, only you are easier to overdose as you weigh much less than your horse.

5. pitchblackdam38

pitchblackdam38 Senior Member

I've used it on a horse at our barn. I really like the stuff, we applied it to his pastern joint and fetlock area. Seemed to relieve the pain for him, not completely but he was navicular and had ringbone low-medium-and high. I would be surprised if it wasn't in the joints. My outside vet I consulted with highly suggested the product when I discussed it's use with her.

Dito...wear gloves :)

6. slc

slc Senior Member

Sure. I'd take a bath in it every day if I could afford it.

It works great. Have used it many times.

7. AvidEquestrian

AvidEquestrian Senior Member

Thanks guys. I may try a tube out!