SURE FOOT .....thoughts on this?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by meljean, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

^ keep us posted on how it goes.

2. Winchester

Winchester Senior Member

Yes, please let us know how it goes! Rhythm n Blues will be the best resource to discuss it, but my mare wasn't super inclined to stand on them with a certain foot to begin with, so don't get discouraged if she doesn't jump on them first try ;)

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  3. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

I will definitely let you know how it goes! Her right lead is nonexistent, she will happily pick up the left and goes around quite softly, but she is definitely more stiff to the right in general and a little inflexible as a whole. I know this may not be a miracle worker, but from what some of the videos I've watched have said, it may make a difference. $25 is one of the cheaper adventures I've been on:rofl::rofl:

@Winchester if she will stand on them at all I'll be happy!! One of the little webinars I watched (totally nerded out on it WAY too late last night...) talked about a horse that was literally only on for a matter of seconds, but it made a huge difference. Either way, I'll take what I can get! I mentioned it to my dad and gave a quick explanation of it, he thinks I'm off on another weird and completely pointless rampage... If this works as well for Hope as I'm hoping, I'll be 4/4 on my main rampages, lol. He has been using one of my liquid titanium joint sleeves and said its actually helping his elbow, thanks BTW @Rhythm 'n Blues !

4. Rhythm 'n Blues

^ Most of the outside of the box stuff I "try" I try at a discount. I was gifted some pads and then bought another pair, so I gave it a shot. I was amazed.

BoT I tried on a used item. Fenwick, I got a screaming deal on an item. Cranial Sacral work - my friends offer to do a bit on a horse for me just to see if we can get improvements. My coach does magnetic machine work (big machine stuff made in Germany), she does the tens/acupuncture gadgets - again I get to try stuff for free or discounted, so I give it a try! :)

So I understand how you're feeling @barrel_racer64. My BO use to look at me with the same look, but he's seen the results of some of the stuff I've done, and so he just ignores me now. I know it's not his cup of tea - just as it might not be your dad's. But as long as I'm seeing results, I'll keep giving things a try :)

5. barrel_racer64

e@Rhythm 'n Blues that's where I am at. Hubby and dad both think I'm crazy (hubby isn't terribly horsey, so he just goes along with whatever as long as it doesn't cost a fortune lol). Dad should know by now that I'm always looking at different things, and my mom is kind of into herbs, essential oils, and stuff like that. I've seen results with all of the main things I've tried, so as long as I get honest results, I could care less if they think I'm crazy.

6. barrel_racer64

My pad came yesterday, its got a lot more spring to it than I expected. Hope got to try it out today, no major results, but she did have some changes. The leg got a bit lighter to lift, she had some licking and chewing, the lower head set, and she became very interested in me. After probably the 3rd time on the pads she started to kind of "check in" and touch me and got to where she would just sit there and nuzzle me while she was on the pad. I got on and rode her around after a few minutes with the pads, no real chance there either, but she did feel slightly straighter when I first got on. My dad was making fun of me the whole time, and tried to get his horse to step on the pad from the saddle without success since the horse didn't pick its hoof up high enough when he tried. I rode Hope up and she pretty much stepped right on. I'll call that a success:rofl:

7. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Interesting to see how this goes, you going with your instincts and thinking outside the box is neat to read about. ;)

8. barrel_racer64

Thank you! I'm definitely not eccentric by any means, but I do like trying stuff that is outside the box. My dad is very old school and was having a grand time making fun of me while I was putting her on the pads. I thought it was hilarious that his horse wasn't sure what he wanted when he was trying to get him to step on the pad, and Hope hopped right up. It kind of quieted him down a notch or two that she did it so quickly and easily:rofl::rofl:

I put Remi on them for just a minute or two, just on the LF. She was pretty anxious about everything in general while we were up there. She spooked herself off the pad the first two times, if I remember right she flicked her tail and that is what spooked her, not the pad:rolleyez: and after that she quietly stood on them for 10-20 seconds and calmly stepped off. She definitely quieted down significantly while working on the pads, but it was pretty short lived. I'm excited to see how she does with a little longer session next time. She was pretty anxious about life the whole time we were up there. I don't think she is excited about giving up her pasture life to become a riding horse:rofl:

Alsosusieq2 and Larkspade like this.
  9. Rhythm 'n Blues

@barrel_racer64 is your pad big enough you were able to get 2 feet on it? Or did you just have 1 foot on the pad today?

10. barrel_racer64

I only did 1 foot at a time that round. It is smaller than I had in my mind, lol, so I don't think its big enough to get 2 on. I might cut it in half (still deciding) since its 16 x 13 x 2, and both Hope and Remi were pretty willing to let me guide their hoof down to set on it.