Super flakes!

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Waarmwaterdiver, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Waarmwaterdiver

Waarmwaterdiver Registered

I’m a new horse owner and still learning. We’ve owned our quarter-cob for about 3 months now. His ski man was a terrible mess when we first got him, pretty certain it was sweet it and we traded that with MTG oil with great success. He’s itching a lot less now and his main and tail are growing back nicely. That being said I’ve noticed he has really really really flaky skin in his mane and his ears, like big chunky flakes. He’s always “snowing” dandruff. I was using MTG but the stuff stinks and I don’t want to use long term. It helped but did not eliminate the problem. He’s regularly checked by the vet and has been wormed and several times so I do not believe it to be a worm miss you and I don’t see any signs of mites in his years. Just wondering if this is something that could just be normal for him, a flaky pony, or if it’s something I should be worried about. I’m currently using Equiderma skin lotion with a little lanolin mixed in. It helps but I’m not able to be at the farm every day to apply it.

Attached Files:

2. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

May I ask why his ears are shaved?

It could simply be dry skin.

3. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

You don't like the smell of bacon grease? :ROFLMAO:

If the vet didn't see anything concerning, I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably dry skin from being clipped. Not sure where you are, but that's a pretty close clip so it could be sunburn.

4. slc

slc Senior Member

His ears look liike they are really badly bit up. Where do you live?

5. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

My horse when he had flaky dry skin it was the high NSC grain, 20% or more with corn, that was causing it. Switched to Triple Crown Senior, 11.7% NSC and no corn and it went away immediately. But, his ears didn't get that bad, it was just his coat and mane that were noticeably dry and flaky.

Waarmwaterdiver likes this.
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Brush him and get the skin stimulated to release oil from the oil glands and that will help eliminate the flaky skin. You can also buy him some Sho-Glo supplement at TSC. It adds oils for skin and coat to his diet.

Horses roll in the dirt and when they sweat the dirt clogs up the pores and then the natural oils in the coat clog up. Brush and curry him to help unclog those pores.

doublelranch likes this.
  7. Waarmwaterdiver

Waarmwaterdiver Registered

They were only just shaved for a show, otherwise they had not been clipped. They were still very dry and flaky prior to clipping

8. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I feed Sho Glo and for my horse it didn't help on that previous diet. I still second Sho Glo though. It might be part of the reason he did turn around so quickly for the flaky dry part of his skin.

manesntails likes this.
  9. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

You can also feed flax. He looks like he needs help from the inside out.

10. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

Any signs of lice?

ginster and Alsosusieq2 like this.