Suggestions for deatangling?

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by ThatHorseGirlAbby, Oct 23, 2018.

1. ThatHorseGirlAbby

ThatHorseGirlAbby Registered

My mini basically has dreadlocks. The puppies got into the tack room and got a hold of the mane and tail brush so that's gone, does anyone know if a regular hairbrush would work? Also, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the knots out easily? I'd prefer products to be either affordable or DIY :)

2. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Cowboy Magic detangler. Stuff is amazing!

ThatHorseGirlAbby likes this.
  3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Coconut oil. In the grocery section with the cooking oil. Also makes the mane soft as silk.

MzCarol likes this.
  4. Larkspade

Larkspade Senior Member

Healthy hair care. comes in a concentrate so you get a lot.

5. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

I also mix a little conditioner into a full squirt bottle. Works charms

6. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

baby oil

7. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

Regular hairbrush will work fine. Cooking spray, crisco, coconut oil, baby oil

manesntails likes this.
  8. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Best thing for dreads while keeping all the shoe intact (not breaking) is to use something that makes the tail slippery. My main go to for this is Veteolin. You want to spray a lot when you start. Basically next to dripping off. Then let the tail dry. The. Finger pick. So no combs or brushes or anything. Start at the top and take a few hairs at a time and pull them out from the rest of the tail. If it doesn’t slip through easily take less in that section until it does.

Yes it’s painful the 1st time you do it, but you’re removing the dreadlocks more than any brushing or combing can. Follow up I’m told should be once a week finger pick again. I haven’t done that in ages, so I typically get to it when it’s looking really bad or I have a reason to have a really nice full & perfect looking tail :)

9. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

I second coconut oil. Avoid products with silicone as that is horrible for hair of any kind. Lots of finger picking. I also use a regular hair brush on my horses starting from the bottom and working my way up.

manesntails likes this.
  10. cmrtoner

cmrtoner Senior Member

I third coconut oil. Just gentle massage it in to the entire dread, they will start to loosen up and then you can untwist from the bottom up. I have a horse with a dreadfully long and thick mane and tail and end up using copious amounts of the stuff and coconut oil is definitely the most effective and wallet friendly option.

manesntails likes this.