Suddenly Lame Horse

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Avalancheé, Feb 6, 2019.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

That's awesome!

2. slc

slc Senior Member

Oh - this might turn out to be very important for the OP - most horse folk have a knee-jerk reaction to any 'sudden lameness' and almost 100% will insist it has to be 'an abscess.' Please keep in mind that sudden lameness can have other causes than just an abscess.

Avalancheé likes this.
  3. Avalancheé

Avalancheé Registered

Huh. No obvious lameness like yesterday. Eating, standing, walking normally. When I first started feeling down her “lame” leg, she was fine until I reached her knee. She flinched/spooked. Didn’t blow up but let me know that she didn’t like that. So I reassured her and walked her around. I didn’t want to continuous try at her and look for pain points as she might become even more stoic. I switched to the opposite leg of the “lame” one and it seemed fine. No reactions at all, picked it up really nicely, all four actually. After flinching, she had no problem with me touching the “lame” leg. She wasnt resistant at all when I was asking for it and held it up quietly. She was great.

But one thing I noticed was that she was really tight in the shoulder/neck area.

Recently I started tying her hay nets higher than usual to keep them higher off the ground since the weather has been terrible. I liked to keep the hay nets low to make it as natural as possible. I think that could have been making her sore and tight in that area?

I started massaging her neck and she immediately started licking, chewing and yawning. And it was for a while too. The tight spot was on the opposite side of the “lame” leg. Would this contribute as to why she was really sensitive on the other leg???

This was really odd and I’m not sure how to approach it.

LoveTrail and manesntails like this.
  4. FluffyThoroughbred

FluffyThoroughbred Full Member

It may be a good idea to consult the vet.