Sudden One Sidedness

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by QuarterHorseMomma, Aug 28, 2018.

1. QuarterHorseMomma

QuarterHorseMomma Senior Member

I have a mare in her teens who has always been a great horse. Never caused any issues, always willing to please. However a month ago I watched her tumble into a small tree/bush. She scratched her head but otherwise seemed fine. No issues with walking, soreness, etc. Lately she's become one sided. Not wanting to bend or lung clockwise. I have called the vet as well as a chiropractor. I have made arrangements for her to see a vet next week for xrays and if they check out the chiropractor is coming out to make sure she didn't knock something out of whack. However if neither of these things fix the issue where would you start? Note I will be starting with groundwork as I'm not in a position to ride for the next few weeks.

Edited to add *
    When the incident happened my vet was contacted and it was decided to watch her carefully and ensure she was fine if not he would come out. She never seemed dazed by the accident and we figured it was like one of those normal things only a horse could do.

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Was it like she lost balance for no apparent reason?
    I would get her tested for EPM. If she got it it is best to catch it early.

3. QuarterHorseMomma

No she hasn't had any balance issues. She was running after it rained, jumped over a tree limb and slipped a bit stumbling into the tree/bush

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Yeah, that sounds like something I'd have the chiro for. Those slips, bangs, and skids throw a lot of stuff out of whack. Even if it's something fairly minor, it impacts all the soft tissue around it and the compensation for the stiffness or pain causes other areas to be affected.

Sudden one-sidedness tends to make me think stiffness and stiffness tends to make me think chiro. When you have a known event like the one you describe, it's a fairly logical assumption that she probably tweaked something doing it. Stuff like that may not make them lame but it can affect their flexibility.

My chiro works in conjunction with my vet so I'm able to call her and know that my vet is on board with it. So in my case, I'd start with chiro and go from there. No sense worrying about what comes next until you see what that shows.

5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Then get her a massage first, then chiro. Try this first and go from there. Good luck-!!

manesntails likes this.
  6. QuarterHorseMomma

Thanks I'm waiting for the xray for that slight chance of a hairline fracture. If she has one and I get a Chirp it can make it worse. But once she's clear she's getting a spa day!

7. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

I had a gelding throw his hip out coming down a muddy hill. He slipped and basically slid down on his butt. It happens, unfortunately. I would definitely look into a chiro!

8. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

From the sounds of it, I would also start with the chiro

9. QuarterHorseMomma

Thanks guys. Yeah I'm hoping everything at the vet checks out. If it does there is a local woman (credentials below) who will be coming out for the full blown spay day! Hopefully after I'll have my moody yet willing old girl back. IMG_20180828_211522.jpg

bellalou, manesntails and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  10. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Great typo! :rofl: