Sucker for a cute face too...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by OldGreyMare, Jul 3, 2018.

1. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

Last night coming back from a friends house, my son Drew called me and in the background I could hear kittens mewling....he explained he was on the way home and something caught his attention on the side of the road so he stopped. Found 3 young kittens and brought them home as he couldn't leave them there, our temps are up in the mid to high 90's, with a heat index of 103+.

I headed into town, got everything I thought a kitten would need/use and headed back home. The babies are about 6-7 weeks old, I think, never have I had a baby kitten. They were very very hungry, drank till they tired themselves out, and curled up and went to sleep. I got kitten wet food we give them during the day and IAMS kitten kibble for at night, fresh water every morning, and they are sorta using the litter box, it is hit and miss so Drew is working on that.

The first boy, think they are boys...we call him Pershing. He is a cute tabby cat who loves to head butt and pat you with his paws. The 2nd boy is Ubra, a tuxedo coat, a bit stand offish but will bounce and rough house with his brothers, then the 3rd brother is Smudge, just a bit of white on his chest and white hairs here and there, will sit and watch you. I am in love with each of them as they are so dang cute!

Were on vacation right now so Drew is keeping a close eye on them and knows if he feel they need to go to the vet before Saturday then let me know and I will call our vet with our credit card number for him. Any words of wisdom? Anything I should watch for with them?

Hubby has resigned himself to the fact were going to keep them, both Drew and I really don't want to break them apart and feel they should stay together. Gotta love my husband, he has a kind heart too and it melts my heart watching him with the kittens.

endurgirl, tlwidener, Arem and 4 others like this.
  2. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

This thread is worthless without pics!

Kittens are prone to upper respiratory infections so watch out for runny eyes and noses. If they are the age you think, they are ready for their first shots. Especially since they were outdoors, they should be tested for FELV/FIV (feline leukemia and feline AIDS). They are also ready for their first deworming.

Scratching posts are your friend! (and your furniture's friend) Thanks for taking them in - you are a good person.

Now... get snapping pics! I love kitties! :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

Fire Chik, tlwidener, ginster and 2 others like this.
  3. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Senior Member+

Not to be gross, but you need to make sure their bottoms are clean. The mother usually licks it or else it will get clogged and they will die. These may be old enough to do it themselves though. Just keep an eye out for it.

tlwidener, mooselady and ginster like this.
  4. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I agree with Bella. Pictures please!
    To get a better estimate of age, try weighing them. AS AN EXTREMELY GENERAL RULE, anything less than 1 lb will be younger than 4 weeks, and anything more than 2lbs will be older than 8.
    This obviously only holds for kittens that haven't been starved, but I have found it helpful in the past.

5. OldGreyMare

Thank you all...Dona...they are young, but were keeping a close eye on them. I showed Drew how to wipe their little bottoms should they need it, which one did. Keeping a close eye on them for sure. I did remember that the mothers stimulate them by licking so I took a small soft kleenex but they wanted none of that and did squat to pee and poop. Will have the vet weight them for me. Good thing to know though.

Soon as we get home will try to get some good pictures of the 3 amigo's when we get home Friday evening.

bellalou and Alyssa Hughes like this.
  6. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Sometimes you have to rub their tummies with a warm damp cloth to stimulate their bowels.

I use triple antibiotic ointment for gooey eyes until I get to the vet clinic and clean with warm soft cloths.

Alyssa Hughes likes this.
  7. OldGreyMare

Vet visit this afternoon for the 3 amigo's.....vet really liked them, said they were about 5 weeks old, to continue what I am doing food wise, that they showed no ear mites, no fleas, and were all wormed. We talked about neutering and spaying, will do that in a few months when they get a bit older and weight on them. Will go back in 2 weeks for the 2nd round of wormer but all in all, relieved they are okay.

This is Smudge, he is 1.3lbs and boy. Ornery and loves to play, bounce around and is the first to puff up like a bottle brush and bounce sideways at the site of our dog:
    [​IMG]

Our little runt and only girl, little Umbra. She is a talker, also gets cleaned a few times a day as she still is learning to use the litter box, but getting better each day. Loves to explore and gets picked on by her two brothers, she was only 1lb:
    [​IMG]

Sweet little Pershing, who is a real cuddle bug, he came in at 1.3lbs too. Very loving and an explorer:
    [​IMG]

Here is Umbra and Pershing asleep together, on my son's backpack:
    [​IMG]

Umbra and Pershing:
    [​IMG]

HayleyS, ginster, froglander and 8 others like this.
  8. Larkspade

Larkspade Senior Member

umbra is adorable!!!!

9. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

They’re so sweet! Love the names too. Glad they’re doing well.

10. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Awe Pershing is the cutest little guy. :heartbeat: