Sub division covenants

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bobo and horses, May 18, 2017.

1. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

So, a friend of mine was over for lunch today. And as it happens, we got started talking about our kids and grandkids. She tells me a tale of woe regarding one of her kids and the covenants of said child's subdivision.

Houses are pretty fancy smanchy. Upwards of 1/2 million. One of the neighbors decided to start raising chickens. This is in the Township, not the city. So city has no say. The neighbors (chicken haters) had a meeting with the chicken lovers, to tell them apart, CH and CL. CL told them to go fry an egg. So, the fight is on. No law against CL in the Township. But, in the covenants of the sub division, there is a domestic animal rule listed, only dogs and cats, not livestock. She ( my friend) told child to call police, but to no avail. Not getting involved. No HOA on record. Who would they complain to? Just so it's known, I have no dog (Or chicken) in this fight. I told them to consult an attorney. WWYD?

2. bobo and horses

Forgot, there is a pony in the subdivision, grand fathered in, when pony goes to pony heaven, no replacement, or so it says.

3. CJ

CJ Senior Member

If theres simply no HOA and no ordinance against it in town, homeowner may get away with keeping chickens, assuming they dont violate any other areas or ordinances. A lot of people are trying to keep chickens for meat or eggs or bug patrol. If theyre contained, stay on the property, dont smell or make noise, pull up all the grass or anything otherwise offensive to the immediate neighbors, they arent really harmful or noticeable. If theres a rooster, chickens everywhere, or it/area smells like a big bag of fertilizer, neighbors have valid impact gripes.
    Get them lil vests that say "Therapy Chicken"? ;) :whistle:

equinitis and ginster like this.
  4. bsaz

bsaz Full Member

Covenants are usually legally binding. Will the county enforce them? Maybe. Violating the CC&Rs is no different than violating a county code. In the county were I live, the county would probably tell the chicken owners to get rid of them or be fined.

We used to have an HOA. Happily, the HOA made themselves so painful that it (and all CC&Rs) were voted out IAW another provision in the CC&Rs.

5. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member

No idea, but every time I hear a story about neighbours trying to be controlling of an area (and worse, having legal ground to do so) it just reinforces my plan to never live in such a "community." I feel like the minute you have other people telling you what to do with your own place, what color you can paint it, what animals you can have, it totally defeats the purpose of having your own land. I don't give a hoot what my neighbours yard looks like, I don't want to live close enough to see my own neighbours from my house anyway. Sure, there are still county and federal ordinances on land use, but they tend to be more safety rules (like burn policies and livestock containment) whereas HOA and more community style rules seem designed to make sure that everyone is experiencing the same flavour of vanilla when they look out the window.

6. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

:rofl:

Well what do you know?

[​IMG]

7. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

working for a City, I don't believe Home Owners Association covenants are enforceable from us or the County. If someone called us complaining about something in their convenant, they would be told we do not uphold their ordinances and rules, ONLY the cities and it is a civil matter.

and Compadre, you would be amazed at how many people call and complain about homes in their neighborhood regarding junk, weeds, not mowing, etc, etc, etc.

bobo and horses likes this.
  8. CJ

CJ Senior Member

:eek: Oh Shut My Mouth ! :confused:
    :faint:

bobo and horses and mooselady like this.
  9. bobo and horses

Forgot, there is a rooster, which was how it was discovered by CH that CL was harboring the illegal service chickens. I, personally, think this is hilarious. My husband and I have been walking around saying, Are you a fricken chicken lover, or are you a fricken chicken hater? Not particularly fond of chickens, but do love chicken breasts and eggs. Also, my friends son is a die hard CH.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    ginster and mooselady like this.
  10. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

If there is a rooster, I don't blame them for being ticked they are in a residential area. I have one and he NEVER SHUTS UP

BossMare16 and ginster like this.