Stupid and Havoc go to school........or maybe it's me that will go to school!

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by equinitis, Oct 11, 2018.

1. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

I bought this book about in hand and ground driving, long lining some simple stuff to do in harness and some equipment and am going to try some stuff with these two mules. (That was a lot of ands!) I cannot remember the name of the book but will post it when I find it!

They are both big enough to ride but I think I would feel ridiculous riding either one of them. I want them broke to ride but it will have to wait until I find someone small enough and strong enough to ride them. They will be great grandkid/visiting kid animals since they are both pretty and unimposing for not so confident folks. Maybe, maybe they will be great for that. Maybe not.

Stupid has been saddled and ground driven but has not been touched other than pets in 6 years or so. Havoc leads......sort of.......and was just gelded Friday (10/5). He is recovering well. Both of them are wicked smart but are gentle souls. Havoc is pretty reactive and Stupid does not seem to have much of a work ethic but we will see what I come up with.

We are going to lose our lease on a large portion of the pasture so my plan was to give both of these mules to someone that would do something with them but my FIL had a fit about Havoc and my mother had a fit about Stupid so I guess they stay. I am hoping if I document what I am doing, it will encourage me to stay with it.

Stupid is at least 10 years old now, probably closer to 12, and Havoc is newly gelded and is already 4 or 5, maybe even 6. They are close to the same size, Stupid is heavier, I don't know if they will make a good team though, I'll just have to play that by ear. I have no idea about her breeding as we bought her form a local trader. She was "guaranteed" to be 15hh or he would buy her back! She might be 12hh. Maybe.
    Stupid is the one that manes liked.
    Havoc is red and white, mostly white. He was very striking when he was born but has frosted out a lot. Still pretty, but not as striking as he was. Baby Havoc:
    I don't have any good recent pictures of Havoc on the computer. I will try to post some from my phone at lunch. I took some the weekend before he was gelded. He is a tiny bit taller then Stupid I think but, being 1/4 Arabian, he is lighter boned. They both have beautiful heads.

I may add Norm to this thread in the spring. He will learn to drive as well as ride also. Gotta be able to earn his feed! Luckily he is tiny and doesn't eat much so doesn't need to earn much. lol

2. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

That's it.. I want Havoc...

Alsosusieq2, ginster and equinitis like this.
  3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I typed out a post, then deleted it.

I have always wanted Stupid. :(

Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.
  4. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

I know. I am sad for both of you. I think you would have been an awesome pair!

Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.