Strange hard lump between teats

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by WildLittleWren, Apr 22, 2018.

1. WildLittleWren

WildLittleWren Full Member

Today was the first time I have been able to check my mustang's udders to see if they need to be cleaned etc. I found a hard, almost baseball size lump way back and up between her teats (not actually in her teats). Of course I googled, and everything is pointing me towards tumors etc. I am completely freaking out. The vet is coming out Tuesday afternoon for routine dental and vaccines, but should I have him come out sooner? What could this be? It doesn't seem to be painful, or hot. Other than that there are no changes in her behavior at least, and aside from she seems to be a little bit more difficult keeper than she did this time last year, no other changes. She started dropping feed last week and seems to be having trouble chewing her grain properly, so I assumed it was related to needing her teeth floated and examined in case there are any other mouth related issues.

Has anyone ever found a lump like this before?

2. slc

slc Senior Member

Yes, I have seen lumps like that. Some were pockets of dirt between skin folds, some were abscesses, and I have seen several tumors there, but only a couple that were cancerous. The cancerous tumors are generally just removed and that might just be the end of the problem.

I don't know that two days would make much difference.

Ms_Pigeon, ginster and ~tiffy~ like this.
  3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Vet is coming out anyway on tuesday and she is not in pain from whatever she has on her udder. Don't fret too much!

4. WildLittleWren

I called my vet as soon as they opened this morning. He said waiting until our scheduled appointment tomorrow should be fine since there is no heat, and she doesn't seem to be in any pain. I absolutely adore this horse, I am praying it is something totally not serious!

5. slc

slc Senior Member

6. WildLittleWren

Slc I read that article yesterday. Unfortunately to me the only thing that seems could possibly apply is cancer, or possibly scar tissue from a previous injury. Thanks for sharing!

7. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

As ever, hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Hoping that what ever it is it is either 'ignorable' or fixable...

8. WildLittleWren

At first he didn't know what the heck it was. He still doesn't but there are several possibilities. He doesn't believe it's a malignant tumor. It is completely symmetrical and only attached in the middle.

He said it could be swollen lymph nodes for some unknown reason, a brewing abcess, or old scar tissue from an injury. We drew bloodwork to make sure her CBC is good.

I have to check it twice a month, if it starts to grow then surgery to remove it and send off. At least he says he can just make an incision with her on her back, and not into the abdomen.

He did say it is NOT in her udder or related to reproductive system at all.

So, now I await the CBC results he says he will have them to me by tomorrow. If that all comes back good, then I just need to keep monitoring it for changes or pain.

ginster, DelP and mooselady like this.
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

So far so good.

10. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Watch and wait is not the worst thing.