Featured Stirrup irons..How to measure your size?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by PaintedRocket, Aug 16, 2005.

1. PaintedRocket

PaintedRocket Senior Moderator

When buying new stirrup irons, how do you measure what size you need? How do you know what kind to buy? What do you look for in a stirrup iron? LoL can someone help me out here?

2. Shotgun93

Shotgun93 Senior Member+

You are supposed to measure foot and base the size off that, if you want half an inch on either side of your foot, or an inch, ect.

As for type, don't get the kind with the safety bands, they strech and break, and they don't look very good either. The safety iron kind are better. Some people really like the swivel-type irons, but I don't b/c they creat a lot of extra work for your legs and aren't as stable.

3. PaintedRocket

Yeah my friend Bev has the safty band ones, and I cant stand them..the way they feel and look. Well what's better a half an inch on the side of your foot or an inch? Is it just personal preference or does it make any kind of difference?

4. Horse_Lover92

Horse_Lover92 Senior Member+

I just bought mine and the fit LOL, I wear an 7 and have really wide feet and mine are 4 and a half

5. PaintedRocket

I also wear a size 7, but regular not wide. LoL I'm buying a pair of shoes from my work.. and since they're a wide shoe (super comfy I want them to work in) I have to go with smaller sizes...the ones I'm buying are a 5 1/2 !! Lol

6. TrickPony

TrickPony Senior Member+

They say 1/2 an inch on either side of your foot will let you slip out if you fall, but keep your foot centered at the same time. :D
    Measure your boots at the widest point - then buy from there.

7. kailiegh47

kailiegh47 Full Member

My instructor told me to only buy heavy stirrup irons because they won't move around too much and hit your horse when you fall off or riding with no stirrups.

8. Darkhorses

Darkhorses Full Member

to measure for English style stirrup irons take the boots you will be riding in (padock boots tall boots etc.) and the measure the sole of your boot at the widest part (hint the design that connects the toe with the rest of the boot is usually placed at the widest part of the boot so just measure the sole that is under the design!) the widest part is also the place where most trainers tell you to place your foot in the stirrup. after you measure the widest part add an inch to the measurement (or half and an inch on each side of the boot).

Gorge Morris chef d’equipe of the USEF show jumping team likes regular fillis irons because they give you the best "base" he really doesn't like what he calls "gimmicky" irons (the ones with flexible sides) but if you have knee problems that is the one exception he makes to his rule because they aren't as hard on your knees

9. SouthernJumper

SouthernJumper Senior Member+

I've gone by the 1/2" on each side too. I like a heavier weight (in case I lose them, easy to get back), and jointed has helped some back issues.

10. Maisie

Maisie Senior Member+

I was also taught to measure the boots you ride in at the widest point & plus 1"