Stiff and lethargic after vaccine

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by foxtrot, Jun 6, 2018.

1. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Nay, :no:
    Poor little poop already has enough chemicals in his body, best to not be adding more~!!

2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Even if it takes the pain and achy feeling away some so he can at least lay down and move better?
    Does arnica help horses?

3. manesntails

He isn't that much in distress. Bute, banamine, messes up the flora in the gut. So, then ya have him not digesting really well on top of it all.

They don't need a remedy for every minor ache or pain. Make them painfree and they don't rest and let nature heal them, don't rest and aggravate the condition. A sore neck nature will fix pretty quick.

Meanwhile, flyspray is all he needs.

ginster and foxtrot like this.
  4. Cynical25

Cynical25 Senior Member

Poor thing :( Agree that it's a relatively common reaction, but I know it's tough for us to just sit back and watch the body process it!

Per my vet's advice, as long as he's drinking, I only bute my vaccine-sensitive gelding if his temp hits 104°F. After years of trial & error, I know my guy reacts worst to flu/rhino & rabies, so those are usually given 7 & 14 days after EEE/WEE/Tet/WNV. If he's super lethargic I'll let him rest wherever most comfortable, but if his legs stock up badly or his sheath swells shut I will hand walk a couple times a day and cool hose if needed. Thankfully, he appears to be outgrowing this, and barely had any reaction this spring of his 7th year...

foxtrot and manesntails like this.
  5. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

Yeah, last night I actually did stop by my vet's office and pick up some banamine to have on hand, since I had none, and this incident made me realize that's terrible.

But, I haven't given him any. He doesn't feel good but he's still eating/drinking/pooping. And he also had ulcers when I got him and is a worrier so I'm very reluctant to give him anything that might give him ulcers and make him feel worse in the long run.

I'm hoping he is feeling a little better because I finally saw him laying down when I checked in around 3 am (I have cameras in my barn so I can spy!). Like a lot of minis he lays down fairly often to sleep and I think that is a big part of why he was so agitated yesterday, because he couldn't figure out how to lay down. Today he greeted me at his gate like normal and wanted scratches (yesterday he hung back and didn't really react to anything) but his stiffness seems about the same. He just seems really exhausted, which makes sense.

It's not fun at all! But while I'm glad I now have some banamine on hand I really try not to give strong medications like that unless absolutely necessary.

ginster and Cynical25 like this.
  6. manesntails

Just the fact he can get up from laying down is a sign of improvement. The neck is the major operational factor in rising.

foxtrot likes this.
  7. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Only read the op. I would not give bute nor banamine unless absolutely necessary. Evidence suggests it is better to allow the inflammation process so the immune system reacts to the vaccine as it is supposed to. Every year I struggle with vaccinating mine because they both get very stiff and unhappy from it. And, there are no studies to prove we need to vaccinate as often as we do...but, if feel like a jackass if I didn't and something happened. Next time, you may consider using another brand with a different adjuvant and breaking up vaccines so multiple vacs are not administered at the same time. Or have your vet do it. I used to give mine, but it's the same price by the time I pay for shipping and I'd rather my vet be standing there...one year, Blue got hives from it and I always worry about a real serious reaction. Ugh.

foxtrot and manesntails like this.
  8. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

Just a little update--the little bean got his personality back yesterday and today has almost full range of motion back in his neck, though he's still reluctant to move faster than a walk and won't roll. But it makes me really happy to see him acting like himself again and clearly much more comfortable.

Thank you to everyone who posted and helped keep me calm. I'm glad I didn't pump him full of painkillers on top of everything else!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have the same struggle--I really feel like we overvaccinate animals in general and that many vaccines last longer than a year. For next year I'm already heavily considering just getting tetanus+2 way sleeping sickness since I don't want to mess around with those, but am doubtful if I really need the 5 way every single year. My horses are in a closed herd and don't travel so I dunno.

Cynical25, Saph, bellalou and 2 others like this.
  9. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

I had a lengthy discussion with a veterinarian epidemiologist at the university of Kentucky (after an idiotic discussion with our state epidemiologist who is a bloomin friggin moron, but that's a whole 'nother story) and we talked about our vaccination process. The whole deal is this...a) there is no effective test, including titires which are unreliable, to test the immunity b) the studies for vaccination immunity length are never longer than 6 months in duration, so we don't actually know. I decided, against my will and instinct to continue vaccinating because I do know we have cases in the state of Kentucky for everything I vaccinate against...anyway, I'm with ya...i do not vaccinate my dogs or cats anymore after they get their initial puppy vacs.
    Anyway glad your little dude is feeling better. Give him a nice gentle neck massage...

foxtrot likes this.