Step By Step Hoof Polishing *PICS*

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by UnDun*, Jul 23, 2005.

1. UnDun*

UnDun* Senior Member+

Ok, i tried to take some pictures of how i do my horse's hooves, but unfortunately I'm camera illiterate and couldn't get the flash off and the batteries were dying so i was just snapping away as fast as i could. Anyways, I hope the pictures come out in order!

1.--->what I started with

2,3.--> After I wirebrushed in the washrack ( gets all the dirt off)

4.---> Sanded down (this is what makes the hooves shiney..the more you sand, the shinier they'll be)

5.---> After boot polish ( once buffered up, will make a 'dimensional' look, and it's great for 2-toned hooves)

6,7.--> POLISH! The hooves are actually shiney, like a mirror but the flash ruined it.

Note: I used CLEAR polish only, but you could use BLACK on solid black hooves.

Also, If you have something rude to say about the process, please refrain from doing so.

Enjoy! The whole process took about 20 minutes.:)

Attached Files:

*Psylocke* likes this.
  2. ladida

ladida Senior Member+

Wow thats intereting! They are pretty shiny just after being cleaned! Is it just like a "brush" or is it like a wire net? This isn't harmful at all to them, with the periople? (just wondering, his feet look healthy so it must be fine)

3. UnDun*

UnDun* Senior Member+

It's just a wire brush, you can buy them at any hardware store. Im not sure if it's healthy or not, i doubt it would be if you did it all the time but once in a while for a show it can't be too bad, i take his polish off after shows and he's never had dry hooves, and they regain their "natural sheen" in about a week.

4. ladida

ladida Senior Member+

Probably equivalent to putting on nail polish.

5. SeaSide81

SeaSide81 Senior Member+

His hooves look great after you're done!

What do you sand the hoof with though? Sorry if I sound silly, but I have never sanded a horse's feet before but I think I will have to start when/if I show again:p . It looks very nice!

6. UnDun*

UnDun* Senior Member+

i use a hand held sander...like a little handle, and you just slip the sand paper in and tighten the screw (im bad at explaining,lol). Lots of people use electric sanders, but my horse isn't exactly broke to those yet,haha.

7. SeaSide81

SeaSide81 Senior Member+

So you basically sand the hoof like you would sand a piece of wood?

8. UnDun*

UnDun* Senior Member+

yep...i use a fairly fine sandpaper..not too rough, and then go over with a even finer sandpaper. Belive it or not, the finer the sandpaper is, the better it works.

9. charismatic

charismatic Senior Member

Sanding is really bad for the horses feet.
    My farrier(yes, I asked a pro, this isn't just my unedcated opinion) gave me a flyer on the concequences of sanding/wirebrushing. I'll post a summary here if someone wants.

Basically, the hooves look great, but it's bad for them. I personally will choose my horses health over looks, but maybe that's just me.

10. buggywhipp

buggywhipp Senior Member

WOW!!! they look great!!:) Nice job on the pictures too.:)