Stella gets her groove back

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by mooselady, Oct 2, 2018.

1. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Lol, I was getting raccoons in my head for some reason, no possums here either.

2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Today was the start of Stella and I really working together, we were at a ground work clinic.

The day started poorly, Madam did not want to get caught, took me a while to get close to her, when I did I got half way through getting her halter on, and she did her freak and run. So I’m stood there watching, half of me is internally swearing, the other half is watching her run and thinking ‘WOW’ She’s looking and moving so well. So got her caught, and off we go.

Started with simple stuff, just touching them all over, no issues there, apart of course for the poll and ears! We actually made great progress, there is an inch square behind her right ear, that seems to be a physical issue, and there are still some movements that still freak her out, but no where near as bad as she was.

Then onto moving parts of her body, WOW! Can’t believe how differently that went, compared to working on my own last week, completely different mare, moved differently, behaved differently, just awesome. Then started working with the tarp, didn’t expect a problem walking over it, seeing as we had tried that last week, and yes she was fine. I was a little suprised when she didn’t blink an eye, or put a foot out of line when we had to pick up a corner and drag the big tarp around. Then she aced walking through the tires, and wearing a tarp while walking over a tarp.

Then while we were having lunch one of the other participants said how it was obvious how much my mare loved me! I had to point out that she barely knows me, but she is so nice to be around it’s easy to start making connections.

No trace of discomfort or lameness today, none under saddle during the week, so we are still on wait and see, she’s having her feet done during the week, and have put her on the list for chiro and massage this month again.

Nice back view of her, me in pink coat.

696FD62F-1FDD-46D4-A5F9-C2CE3426C780.jpeg

FC5AB1AD-0AEB-4402-AB22-CAACCDB4BC33.jpeg 8CE58BFA-4119-471B-9E6B-F573884C4052.jpeg

3. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

Yay! Happy update! I'm *personally* rooting for things to work out with her!

kodemiester, NaeNae and mooselady like this.
  4. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

What it is to have a carpy memory- like a fish-

The biggest take away for me is how quiet you have to be with your ‘ask’ for her. It is so easy to get her rushing to do lots of what she ‘thinks’ you are asking, much harder to get one decent step and then halt!

equinitis, Winchester and ginster like this.
  5. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Ok, take your seats this is a biggy.

Trainer/coach and I have been discussing Stella for a while, obviously, trainer wanted to try her in an English saddle, and he said it was night and day difference in how she goes. We were also looking seriously if a small, flighty mare was the best choice for the larger, older, unfit, kind of broken rider. I was being asked to consider riding a big TB gelding, he was lined up for my first ride back, when I was ready to ride.

This week two major things happened, my DIL was taken into hospital, having had a minor heart attack, and I had a huge scare with a crazy blood test result....we are both fine now, but it concentrates the mind on what is important.

With all that in mind I went and rode Chuck today, and fell in love, so light, forward, sensible BIG, in movement and size...so Stella is listed for sale, when she sells, and I can sell a kidney, or something, he will be mine. I will start his own thread, but here he is

35B8C9F7-A257-49D3-8EEA-49F52F475DB4.jpeg
    B2A249DE-31A3-4C8D-BE75-C66D684AEB79.jpeg

6. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

I imagine Stella will be swooped up quickly and land happily with someone who is the perfect fit for her.

Chuck is a handsome boy, you two look like a great team already!

kodemiester, Arem and mooselady like this.
  7. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Aw, what a cute guy.You and grey geldings, huh?

8. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

I cannot lie, the view between the ears is just very right, even though Chuck is a completely different ride!

9. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

How awesome! I must admit from all your posts I was wondering how Stella was going to work out. Chuck seems great. Good for you!

10. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Yes, Chuck looks like a familiar sight!

I approve.