Stella gets her groove back

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by mooselady, Oct 2, 2018.

1. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Day One of Stella’s training....follow on from this thread.
    Say hello to Stella

I wasn't able to be there, but what was found out today.....and in the last few days...

Generally, Madam is not happy, she is a PITA to catch, even in the small turn out pen, and is quite ready to turn her back on a person and threaten to kick. Freaked out while being brushed, generally has attitude.

I am ready to forgive all that, the weather has changed, we have cold wet snow, and she is not happy. She is also in a new place with new people.....so I will give her time.

Her reported bridling issue, was kind of a non issue, her ears aren’t the issue, moving around her head is, but not too bad.

Under Saddle, a wee bit looky and hesitant, obviously very green, a project. The consensus put 30 days on her and see how we are doing. At the moment coach says she would not trust her with me. I’m not discouraged, the deal I got on her I knew that there would be work to do, if she was ready to go, then she would have been out of my price bracket.

She is pretty as a Western horse!

64D6D394-2189-4A2E-A447-4F1D03D889E5.jpeg

2. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

Does your trainer ever lunge them before hopping on? The only reason I ask is because she seems pretty fresh, and sometimes it helps to get a little bit of the energy out before hopping on.

I'm sorry that she has turned into a bit of a pill, my least favorite thing is a horse who is snarky to catch.

3. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

He does, but not as a usual thing...i’m Guessing he might choose to next time!

GONE ROPING, Circle C and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. .Delete.

.Delete. Senior Member

So excited for you ML!!!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I would look into seeing if her poll is out. Her reactions under saddle and being bridled could be due to her poll being out.

6. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Good point @LoveTrail, will get her booked in for the next visit.

Alsosusieq2 and LoveTrail like this.
  7. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

She does look tense and worried in her eyes and mouth. She'll get there!

How long was her travel? Maybe ulcers could start popping up from the change and the trip?

I do like her. :)

8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Who the forks and spoons is riding this horse?

Tell her to get the frick outta her mouth~!! Give her her dang head. No wonder she fussed and spun, she won't even let her use her dang neck. Watch her walk by the camera. All heads up with no rein to ALLOW her to relax.

Really Moosey, get a rider up on her.

You do not ride a green horse like it's a finished English horse. She isn't training the horse, she's forcing it to ride a headset it hasn't yet got.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Lol manes, that is a dude riding her, and I trust him.....he is not on her much, because most of the time he has hold of his “oh ****” strap....so riding one handed.

He will figure her out, that’s what he does.....it’s a process.

10. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

No, the horse needs a rider. If the rider needs a process, he should ride a schoolie and process that~!!

You want her relaxed so she can learn. Kerp riding her like that, and hard to catch will be chasing her down the road as she gallops away~!!