Staying clean overnight

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by magicalmiracle, Dec 22, 2009.

1. magicalmiracle

magicalmiracle Senior Member

i have a paint that is about 40% white, 60% brown. i am taking her to her first show soon and i need to get her to stay clean over night. she gets manure all over her back legs more toward the bottom. when i try to get them out with a brush it just makes it a little lighter.

the night before the show i am going to spot wash her legs (its winter so i can't give her a full bath) and groom her like crazy wiht green spot remover by cowboy magic. then i am going to put a sheet or cooler on her and put her in the stall (she lives outside) any suggestions on what else i could do to keep her clean overnight?

2. WashingtonBay

WashingtonBay Senior Member+

If she's stalled that night, use a LOT of shavings, so if she lays down she's not as likely to be laying in poop. Honestly, I'd clean her legs as needed in the morning. Won't take long to clean her legs up and towel dry and load her up. Even less time if you clip the long hair from her legs and feet to tidy them up.

3. magicalmiracle

ok thanks!

4. WashingtonBay

WashingtonBay Senior Member+

Fact of life and white horses :) I showed a grey/white Arab in high school, and resigned myself to bathing him early the morning of the show. Oh I'd do it the day before too, but they always find a way to get dirty again :) Leave time for touch ups!

5. badaboom

badaboom Senior Member+

Any chance you have clean snow on the ground?

Our white arab stays spotless when outside in the snow. He is a complete pig in his stall so we leave him out before any shows.

The snow does all the work :wink:

6. sparks879

sparks879 Senior Member

You can wrap his legs with polo wraps to help keep them clean.
    beth

7. classie1

classie1 Full Member

We put standing wraps on the white legs, it seems to work well

8. magicalmiracle

ok thanks! wrapping her legs will make a huge difference!

9. taylor~paint08

taylor~paint08 Senior Member

My horse is a paint and basically all white. Lots of shavings, clean the stall perfectly before you leave, blanket, polo wraps, sleazy, and tail bag. All works great, sometimes (if your horse is like my horse) they will lay directly in the poop and then it goes through and gets all over there faces (LOL) then you use lots and lots of green spot :)
    Hope this helps

MiKayla

10. taylor~paint08

taylor~paint08 Senior Member

I also shave my horses legs before big shows and then wrap them, green spot remover in the morning, and if allowed baby powder and white spray paint. (IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO SHAVE THE LEGS LET SOMEONE SHOW YOU FISRT!!!) lol sorry, I have seen so many people shave their horses legs and they look AWFUL!! they don't blend it in and it just looks gross. IF you do shave the legs, do it at least a week before the show just so it looks some what natural :)