Featured standing martingale vs. running martingale??

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Two Socks, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Two Socks

Two Socks Full Member

What is the difference between the two. How does the standing martingale differ from the running martingale. I know that there was a thread on here not to long ago but can't seem to find it.

2. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

i can't find that thread...someone will find it for us.

But a standing is like a western tie down. It is a nose band that is usually separate to the actual head stall......and attaches at the breastplate or girth.

A running martingale attaches in the same place, but the reins run through a set of rings

They are used for different things, depending on the person.

3. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

4. Two Socks

Two Socks Full Member

Starting to make sense. Thanks a lot!! Wish i could find that tread tho!!:rolleyez:

5. Xena_n_joss

Xena_n_joss Senior Member

A standing martingale is used mainly for horses or ponies who tend to throw their heads up or hold their heads really high and hard...

A running martigale is used for horses who tend to be a bit speedy, they can be used to help with some leverage on contact as well...

Neither should be used on a horse who bucks or rears.

A standing should not be used for jumping.

I personally dont like either, if my horse is fast I try a different bit, if they have head problems I find another way to work it out. I had an accident with a running martingale once before and since then it just freaks me out a bit.

6. Kizza

Kizza Senior Member+

Standing:
    [​IMG]

Running:
    [​IMG]

7. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Banned

A properly adjusted martingale (running or standing) isnt going to have any effect on the horses speed or headset.
    It is used for horses who throw their heads too high, it stops from smacking the rider in the face.

A martingale adjusted tight enough to effect a horses headset is asking for a disaster and is a waste of training because once you take it off you're going to have a hollow stiff horse.

8. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

I think, what people mean abotu speedy horses, is that the running martingale does not allow the horse to totally evade the bit. You can adjust the angle real quick, and get the bit to engage on a horse who's not wanting to listen.

And instead of pulling straight back into the teeth, you add pressure to the bars of the mouth, which gives more "BITE" to a speedy horse.

Also, used to help adjust head set on horses who tend to forget where their head is.

Neither are just for "unruly" horses. They are both, standing and running, have their purposes for well behaved, well trained horses as well.

9. Chester

Chester Senior Member+

Chester wanders through, flak jacket on, sees lock coming eventurlly and leaves.

10. kizzyStephens

kizzyStephens Registered