Stand

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by bellalou, Aug 27, 2018.

1. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Humble brag time and I wish I had a pic but I don't.

I work on stand pretty much every time I ride either of my horses. I ask them to stand when I tighten my girth, I ask them to stand when I'm done and dismount. I often ask them to stand while I walk across the parking area or leave them standing in the arena while I pick up poop.

But today I had a really good moment with Sparky. I was finishing up a ride when the hay truck came to feed. There were people parked in weird ways, blocking the feeders in Bella's 3-horse field. So I hopped off Spark, dropped his reins and said "stand" and, without even glancing back, ran across the parking area to the hay truck and told the guy in the back "I'll take it."

He carefully pulled out 3 nice big flakes of alfalfa and handed them down to me, then I carried them over to the field for Bella and her gang. And the entire time, Spark stood like a statue, one hind leg resting and not even thinking about moving.

I was so proud of him. All the horses were whinnying and nickering about it being feed time, there was a truck full of alfalfa right there, and he stood like a rock. It was a nice test and he passed it with flying colors. :)

2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

That is awesome, great training there. Fergie will stand, but I don't think for one second that she would pass that test.

3. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I don't think I can take any credit. He's just a great boy. I'm quite confident that Bella would not pass that test either. She'd have probably climbed up into the back of the truck before I even reached it. :p

GONE ROPING, Arem and mooselady like this.
  4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You can take credit. When you repeat a command and expect the horse to comply, fix them back to the original position when they falter, you are doing what?
    Training them~!! You deserve all the credit for that.

I had a rough broke Mustang, 3 1/2 yo, only had him 3 mths. We had a girl actually gallop into our ride and bodily knock a little black mare off the trail and down into an 8' deep ravine. I had to go about 200' to the other end, so I could climb down in. I dismounted and told my pony to stand.

I trudged through the brush and bushes down through there. Got the girl back mounted and led her and the horse out and my pony had not budged an inch.

That's what training does~!! Good job Bella~!!

Alsosusieq2, SaddleUp158 and bellalou like this.
  5. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

ugh. Im working with Ghost on this... I guess big name trainers dont feel the need to instill manners in their show string. we have a lot to work on. Grats to Sparky!

manesntails and bellalou like this.
  6. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

I'm working with Shameless on this. That was my number one thing with my horses, stand where I put you and stay there. Shameless is decent, but he wants to follow me so badly. We will get there.

manesntails likes this.
  7. slc

slc Senior Member

I think I'll worry about Wuss Horse staying within a 3 county general area.

Unless you want him to move, he pretty much moves. A lot.

He's 2.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Good job on your training, Sparky's a good egg.

bellalou likes this.
  9. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Thanks. He really is. Such a good-natured, good-minded boy. I have honestly never seen him cranky or fussy. He’s a good, honest, happy, and hard-trying horse. If I only had Sparkys for the rest of my life, I’d be a happy person.

mooselady, ginster, Arem and 3 others like this.
  10. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Also working on this with Charlie, especially in harness. I guess something about a harness means "go" to a STB. Wonder where he got that idea from? :ROFLMAO:

GONE ROPING, bellalou and Arem like this.