Stallwalker/Circler

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Donte Lover, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Donte Lover

Donte Lover Full Member

So my TB has OCD and loves to do circles in his paddock(we can't keep him in the barn anymore because he's run a circle into the mats... :/) and they were like brand new, only about a year old, and anyways, I can tell its bad on his joints and his paddock footing is a little 'thick' and hard on him already -forgot to tell the cleaning lady to stop dumping in there... oops- but anyways, I know it will stop when we get to harder work, but does anyone have suggestions?

(at the moment we block his path with his feeder but he still does a bigger circle) He doesn't mind toys and he's not nervous and doesn't get the separation anxiety so sticking a goat in with him does absolutely nothing but get the goat walking in circles ^^(or stand there watching him walk in circles) And it could be grazing but even when he had 'all day alfalfa' he would take a chunk and walk a circle, take a chunk and walk a circle. He mostly does it when he's anticipating his goodies... he gets to weaving in the cross ties when he's bored. And NO IT'S NOT VISUAL STIMULATION trust me it's being bored because I do it myself ^^ and he only does it when I take for ever in the crossties and he does it with his eyes closed. I think weaving is more of a comfort(like a hug) than a visual stimulation.

Anywho, cut to the chase, any tips to prevent stall walking??

2. Chester

Chester Senior Member

Hobbles :D

Pago walks the fences waiting for dinner. Not as badly as Ed who took it up as a full time occupation though. :(

Turning horses out into the big paddocks works on some and not others. Ed is better in the small paddock than the big one.

Putting things in their way only makes more tracks where they simply walk around things. I have thought of putting cavaletties along the track to see if they want to get some jump practice whilst self exercising.

Good luck. :D

3. Donte Lover

Donte Lover Full Member

I don't really agree with sticking Hobbles on My horse, he'd freak out and kill himself. He'd do it just to spite me, I really don't trust him enough with hobbles.

Also Jumping is forbidden, he had a suspensory injury off the track And I'm not gonna risk making him unsound. The Feed bin is by his stall gate(where he does a 2m circle)and it only blocks that circle, so he goes out and does a 20m circle around his Shelter -Only was one wall and then poles connected to the fence hold up the roof on the other side so it's like a tunnel he can walk threw. I know he's a playful boy but he's well... he gets too frisky with the other horses and people don't want their horses dinged up and broken(like me) so he's seperated most of the time(stuck him in with a Pony but now the pony is dead-put him down with a possible broken hip, not my horse's doing he was all alone in his pasture so we don't know what happened really-)

4. Chester

Chester Senior Member

My reply was in jest. :)

If ever you find a cure/way to stop them please let me know. I have meantime just resigned myself to fit horses that cost lots to feed. :eek:

5. Donte Lover

Donte Lover Full Member

Haha good cause I thought you were crazy for a second ^^ haha jk. Ya I know I figured no one had a real cure. I guess I'm stuck with a crazy horse, and worse yet, he's taught his neighbor(who's mother or father must have had the allele) how to weave.

6. Equustrian

Equustrian Senior Member

Is he an OTTB?
    If he is, maybe it's something to do with the circle excersizers that I've hear of them putting them on..
    Just a thought.

7. Donte Lover

Donte Lover Full Member

He is an OTTB but Haha no it's a genetic thing, and the circle exercise thing is a cool out if I'm thinking of what your thinking of

8. Equustrian

Equustrian Senior Member

I was told that they are used to excersize the horses when they can't be galloped around the track.

9. trackjockey

trackjockey Senior Member

How fresh is he off the track? If he's recent (within a few months) it may subside over time... but usually (95% of the time) it doesn't...just a bad habit. Also it usually gets worse with work, not better so don't be too hopeful.

Hobbles actually is not a cruel idea at all -- there are grazing hobbles they can walk in, just can't 'stall walk' in or go above a walk. I had one so bad about 10 yrs. ago that instead of walking a circle would plant one hind hoof & just spin...crazy crazy filly. She wore grazing hobbles -- didn't stop her completely, but slowed her down.

Ours at the track (if & when we do get one in for training) get a line or board in the middle of the stall -- the really bad one's get a board in the middle of the stall plus a tire....stops them 99% of the time. I like to use a rubberized coated thick line instead of a board as they can still duck under the back & move around & use the whole stall (just can't do circles) whereas a board pretty much just cuts the stall in half.

But with yours being turned outside you're pretty much out of luck besides grazing hobbles, which you stated you're against.....

10. trackjockey

trackjockey Senior Member

The eurocisers are used for jogging.....we use them daily. Nice machines to keep the weight off of the horses back & keep them exercised. You can put them on to walk, also, but 99% of the time they're used for jogging. & no...it definitely does NOT cause stall walking -- the machines are pretty big circles.

http://www.horseexerciser.com/