Stallion w/Geldings?

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by csfpsr, May 6, 2009.

1. csfpsr

csfpsr Full Member

I recently purchased a stud colt and have decided to leave him intact for a while as I monitor his development. He is one year old and is currently turned out with two older geldings who have taken quite a liking to him. In any ones experience, is it inevitable that I will eventually have to separate him from the geldings? Or, is it possible that with the right temperament, he can continue to co-exist with the geldings? Thanks

2. bnwalker2

bnwalker2 Senior Member

There was a stallion here for awhile, and he ran with the geldings every day. He got along well with any new geldings added to the herd as well. However, his half brother (who was a gelding) was in charge of the herd... the stallion was the lowest on the totem pole.

3. HoustonFarrier

HoustonFarrier Senior Member+

It's possible. Just depends on his particular temperment. You'll find out shortly after he breeds his first mare!

I have a 2yo Clydesdale stallion with 3 older Clydedale geldings. He's on the bottom of the totem pole....but he is the primary instigator of playing ! We have used him to tease mares, but he does not know what to do.....yet.

Steve

4. Rumonek

Rumonek Senior Member

No, it is not inevitable. All of my stallions can be turned out with geldings, and I have 2 studs in together right now. If your boy is out with the geldings at a young age (which he is) there is a much higher chance of him staying "friends" with your geldings.

5. Halo's_mom

Halo's_mom Senior Member

Stallions and geldings can co-exist just fine as long as you start it at an early age. Your boy is a yearling which is great he will learn to be in a herd as it should be. You can even keep stallions together as long as they are taught to be in a herd situation from babyhood. In the wild young stallions are kicked out of the herd by their papa then they form bachelor herds and co-exist with other young stallions until one becomes dominant enough to challenge a herd stallion and get a herd of mares for himself. As long as you keep mares out of the equation they can live just fine with other stallions or geldings.

Here is a video of 3 mature stallions living together

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7s3veZSUgA&feature=related"]YouTube - Forest Boyz - A Day in the Life[/ame]

6. MyCassie3

MyCassie3 Senior Member+

Just a question - What happens if there is a mare in season near by, does that affect their behaviour with the geldings/other stallions?

7. Lou3

Lou3 Senior Member+

If stallions are kept with other horses from an early age the vast majority of the time there is no need for them to be alone.
    I know someone who kept her two BREEDING stallions in the same field and never had a day's bother.
    When we had our little welsh stallion he ran with the geldings all year except for the couple of months he was breeding.
    I've seen stallions running with other stallions, geldings and even speyed mares.

8. Halo's_mom

Halo's_mom Senior Member

There will always be a dominant horse in a herd and if it happens to be one of the stallions and someone challenges him for that mare then it's game on! If you are going to keep stallions with gelding and other stallions it's preferable that they have no access to mares. In other words mares should be on the other side of the ranch lol and no close visuals. Keep the mares out of the equation and they will just be a bunch of boys hanging out.

9. MyCassie3

MyCassie3 Senior Member+

Hehe good to know!! thanks!!

10. Rumonek

Rumonek Senior Member

I dont agree with this. If your horse is going to be shown etc they shouldn't be locked down and kept away from the mares- they need the experience of being around them before going into public.

My stallions are all right by my mares. I have yet to have a stallion cause any harm to a gelding or another stallion, and the only accidental breeding mishap I've had, the MARE got out and in with the stallion.

Of course I am NOT saying this will be everyone's experience, but it has been mine.