Stall hay feeders...

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Heavenly Jumper, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator Staff Member

What are my options for hay feeders, besides the ones on the wall? They always pull it all out of those and poo and wee on it anyway...what kind do they make that are like water bucket height? Anyone have some like this? Hubby thinks they will poo in it if it isn't up on the wall, I think they will waste less hay. We all need to try to conserve hay! ;)

Post some links or photos if you can :)

2. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

Eating anywhere but off the ground poses a variety of health risks. This includes all feedstuffs but most importantly hay as they spend the majority of their time eating this and not grains. Also being fed at 'eye level' so to speak they are more prone to breathing in dust/mold. And it is also harder for them to dispell it from their digestive tract.

I have used a basic hay manger. Basically a wooden box (mine was bottemless, just sides) that is about, oh I don't know, 3' high. They're eating off the ground still, but they can not paw and throw the hay around. Some hay did end up on the stall floor, but can easily be thrown back in.

Now some horses might be prone to hurt themselves on these (such as sticking front feet in). But I never had a problem with my two. And I had little to no hay wastage.

It won't stop them from pooing/peeing on their hay, but again, never had an issue with that. Don't know if I was just lucky or what.

3. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

Well don't know how much you can see from this pic, but here it is...
    [​IMG]
    It also had the extension there on the side where you could put a salt/min block. I actually think it was meant to put feed/grain in, but I didn't as I was feeding soaked with oil added. Wouldn't have been too pretty.

4. lilrider

lilrider Senior Member+

I have the same setup as dawn in all 4 stalls. Manger for hay with attatched section for feed.
    It doesn't have hay in it (they get hay outside in their bunker unless its raining or icky outside) but you get the idea. Our barn is an old cow barn so its not as pretty but it works :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]And

this is their outside hay feeder... which they should eat through the bars so its not up high but they prefer to eat it out of the top :rolleyes: we used to feed on the ground but they would pee on it and then not eat it :rolleyez:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
  5. touchofdandy

touchofdandy Senior Member+

I use a hay feeder on the wall and have luck with it. Yes some falls on the ground but my horse cleans it up great! :D Lol

6. Heavenly Jumper

lilrider and Dawn, how easy are your feeders to clean out? Can you remove a panel to sweep them out if there is anything icky in there?

7. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

The one I used could just be picked up and moved. It was very sturdy but suprisingly lightweight. I scooted it over when I would strip the stall out and get any leftover hay and such out. Then scoot it back into position.

8. meljean

meljean Senior Member+

stall feeders

Some of ours had corner wooden hay feeders, the narrowed as went to floor, horses head down, but hay didn't fall out, stopped about a foot off of floor, had flat bottom inside.

9. Heavenly Jumper

Is there anything available that I don't have to build that you know of?

10. freedom32

freedom32 Senior Member+

I am very leary of hay racks because I've seen some horrific things happen with them, especially the metal racks. My sisters horse lost an eye, and a baby at a farm I used to work at hung himself in one. Of course these are the older style racks, these things happened a long time ago, and you don't see them very much anymore--but because of that I am leary. I use hay bags, not the net kind. I have an I-bolt in each stall to hang them from, low enough that the bag hangs at an ideal height, but high enough that no feet get caught. Usually I throw dinner hay on the stall floor because they don't waste it, but if I want them to be 'occupied' I'll use the hay bags. (and they also make good toys for bored horses, mine flip theirs back and forth over the wall)