Spring has sprung time at the lake

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by rhinebeck, Apr 23, 2018.

1. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

He's so adorable! It sounds dumb, but my last 2 dogs didn't know how to swim but loved the water, so I got a life vest for them and after a few times in it, they were able to swim on their own (I always keep a long leash on them that I can hold out of the water to pull them back if need be, but that's just for my piece of mind really). My American Bulldog was who I originally used it with, and she was so front heavy that before practicing with the vest she would just nose dive under the water. She did awesome with and then without the vest on, and absolutely loved swimming, so it was nice to be able to teach her. Then we got our boxer, and she'd try to keep up with the bulldog and couldn't, so she got the vest and in a much shorter period of time was a pro swimmer too! Hers was more a confidence thing. They look ridiculous, lol but I think it helped both of them a lot! Might be worth a try... or a giggle :D

Attached Files:

Alsosusieq2 and rhinebeck like this.
  2. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

We are in the process of getting him one - but did you know finding one for 110# of dog is nearly impossible

Alsosusieq2 and DocsLglyBlonde like this.
  3. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I think I just got mine at Petco and it was big on the bulldog who was a solid 90 lbs, but if I were to use it all the time I'd probably look for a different design. The design makes it so it doesn't hug them real close and there is a lot of pressure on each strap under their chest and belly. If there was one with thicker and more padded straps, that'd be ideal imo. Even a cargo backpack stuffed with cut up pool noodles or something would probably work, since I know the nice ones fit more like a vest under the chest :)

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. HayleyS

HayleyS Senior Member

He is gorgeous! I make mine wear a lifejacket when she swims off the boat, mainly for my piece of mind because it makes her easier to see, and because it makes getting her back in the boat a whole lot easier. I have in the past, and known others who have as well, actually used a human life jacket on a dog with a lot of success. If you can't find a doggy one you like that fits him that might be an option for you.

Alsosusieq2 and DocsLglyBlonde like this.