Spooky mare in the show pen

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by haffix, Jan 12, 2018.

1. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

There can be so many things causing this. Ulcers can cause the spookiness. Was for my daughter's horse, she had hind gut ulcers. Once they were taken care of no issue anymore. My gelding it was his feed in that he was allergic to corn. His body was kept on high alert as he tried to fight the allergy.

I had tried ear plugs for my gelding when it first was given corn before I knew of the allergy. In his case he would either just shake his head the whole time trying to get them out or would spook when he saw another horse doing it. I then thought it was me, and also tried ear plugs on me. But, that didn't work either. Thought maybe pain when he got better after leaving a trainer. Well, not only did he get sound again, but quit spooking. But, only worked for a couple of years and came back at the next barn. Well, that one barn didn't have corn in their grain and the new one and the current one had corn in their grain. Took him getting worse with hundreds of hives, loss of hair, abscesses in feet and jaw, flared hooves, dry skin, atrophy and a potato sized dent in his neck, dull coat, tight muscles, balance issues, skin above his eyes swollen, I think that's all the symptoms to finally figure out his allergy last year.

So long story short, another option to look into is your feed program specifically the grain. My horse had issues with Purina Strategy, Dynasty Senior, Purina Ultium, oats with a small amount of flaked corn and the worst Safe Choice Original. He is now on corn free Triple Crown Senior. He's now 16.

Given your horse had a lameness issue if it was soft tissue you might be limited on the lunging. I was with my horse because he tore his deep flexor tendon in his front foot when he was four. The corn allergy did not help the issue either because of balance issues and the tight muscles. But, since he has been off of the corn, but vet had already said it has improved 50%. My vet had wanted to show his new intern the difference between the two legs with that injury and found the change.

Good luck!

2. haffix

haffix Full Member

thank you @brl_rcr72
    The previous owner told me he did a lot of trail riding with her but she was the same, I went out sometimes (both alone and with other people) but she was sooo nervous that she was shaking, she did not spook at anything but she did shake the whole time. I had her at home for more than 3 years and we tried to get her used to everything, i hang plastic bags, flags, random noisy things to her stall,she have been very close to tractors, animals, kids running and playing around her fence, my neighbour has also a person with Down syndrome in the family that basically spent her days (when i had her at my home and not in the barn) trying to scary her. She hides behind threes and then run to her (from out of the fence), or clap her hands very louds, or make sounds with anything she finds to see her reacting. At first my horse was scared, now she got used to her and totally ignores what she does. The problem is, if there's another person doing the same she's scared :crazy: My last show experience was 4 years ago and it was very bad, now, after 4 years out in the pasture and exposed to many "scary" things maybe it would be better, but I'm not so sure. We will see:D

@slc thank you for taking your time for such a complete post!! And first of all, I'd love to tell you everything about having horses in Italy, feel free to contact me also by pm if you like:D

Talking about my horse, it doesn't look related to pain, she do this with or without tack on,she looks more like in a constant state of alert when she's not in at home, she also sweat a lot when she's stressed, as I said in response to brl_rcr72 , she was shaking when i went trail riding with her:confused:

For the training issues..well..this may also be. The first time I saw her she was being brushed by her previous owner, and I asked him why he did tied her on the fence on the grass, and not in the space made for brushing horses inside the barn, and he said that she was "afraid of standing on cement" so he used to brush her and prepare for riding only standing on grass:no: When i first took her at the new barn she spent weeks learning how to walk normally on cement, she looked like she was walking on ice. I fear that he used this kind of "training" (lol) many times, and didn't teach her to deal with "stressful" situations.

THIS, THIS IS SO TRUE :crazy2:"For one, a horse can actually be reacting to the rider's worry. Horse may have had a period of being really fresh for a while....AND NOW the rider tenses up or pauses or holds his breath when he or she expects trouble. 'Oh no, there's a blanket hung on the fence, here it comes.'" I'm guilty of being too tense sometimes and she for sure feels it:X3: Also she was not well trained for contact, and same was for me, so we're working a lot on this now, in order to have a better and more steady contact, that can make her feel more secure "in my hands".

@Alsosusieq2 @Lopinslow @kodemiester @mooselady thank you for your advices! I think I'll give them I try, I really hope they can be used in both the associations I'll show in. Also @mooselady yes that's for sure! I can be very nervous sometimes, but I've showed many horses and I only have this problem with her:cry:

3. haffix

haffix Full Member

@LoveTrail Thanks! I'm sorry to hear your horse had so many problems because of allergy! My bf's horse lives with allergies and it can be stressful sometimes:confused:, Honestly I never thought of ulcers or allergies on her, she never had other symptoms, she always eats with appetite and never had problems of any kind. Also she changed diet but the problem was still there, but I can talk about it with my vet, a blood check just to be sure won't be a problem.
    Her lameness was caused by bad shoeing, luckily her tendons are perfect, she's now barefoot and she's like new:cheerleader:

LoveTrail likes this.