Spook of the day

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Bakkir, Jul 4, 2018.

1. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

55 gallon drum, the blue plastic ones. It was totally fine until I put my phone on it with some music playing (we calmly rode up and put the phone on it from the saddle). After that it was a scary, scary monster. Hope was snorting, bug eyed, side stepping, the whole 9 yards

2. DriftwoodsQHs

DriftwoodsQHs Senior Member

A giant floating raft in our above-ground pool got Echo showing off her Arab side a bit :hah: Can’t say I blame her though, and luckily for me she’s not usually worried by much.

3AA908D2-D11E-46D4-9D52-F3587C5E3EFC.jpeg

Alsosusieq2 and Bakkir like this.
  3. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

Just remembered a really funny one. The mare I sold about two years ago was one of those very special types (I seem to have a knack for finding these critters). Anyway, my trainer was helping me break her in and the first few rides had gone really well. Then this one particular day she started randomly spooking. Her spooks were those one-leg-in-every-direction-and-snort spooks. She'd be trotting around fine then suddenly SPOOK-SNORT. My trainer would then get her moving around and concentrating on something else and she'd settle back into a nice relaxed rhythm. Then out of nowhere SPOOK-SNORT. This happened a few more times before it clicked with me what it was.

It was chewing gum.

My trainer had a bit of chewing gum in his mouth. When she was relaxed he started chewing the gum and it made a little snapping sound. Then she'd spook and he'd stop chewing the gum while he concentrated on getting her focus back. Then she'd relax and he'd start chewing it again. Once we figured out what it was he made a point of chewing it loudly until she relaxed. To this day he still tells that story to people to get a chuckle out of them.

ginster, Larkspade and Bakkir like this.
  4. Larkspade

Larkspade Senior Member

the ice in my steel water bottle:rolleyes:

Bakkir and StraightandTrue like this.
  5. Pirate

Pirate Senior Member

A purple flower... that we had passed at walk, trot and canter done circles and eights beside for nearly an hour.

6. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

7. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

I fill up my horses' water buckets with a hose every single day. I hang the empty buckets up in their stalls then turn on the hose that has one of those on/off tip things.

Every single day for the last 3 years I've owned my Shetland, this has happened.

Every single day, he watches me empty the buckets, then follows me back in his stall and stares at me, despite having full access to his huge dry lot with the other horses. He very intentionally chooses to come back inside and wait.

Then, every single day, when I turn the hose on, his eyes bug out and he whirls around on his hindquarters like a reiner and bolts away in terror. Then comes creeping back to poke his head inside to see if the water demon is gone yet.

Every. Single. Day.

NaeNae, bellalou, ginster and 5 others like this.
  8. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Yeah mum, but it LOOKED AT ME FUNNY, I swear it did!

I have to undo my safety vest to get off, seems no one had told Fergie about Velcro before that...

9. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

My Welsh lost his MIND at the sound of velcro. It threw me for a total loop since for all his craziness sounds didn't usually bother him. The first time he heard velcro it was on a fly mask I had just put on his face. Trying to remove it from him was an absolute nightmare. :eek:

mooselady and Bakkir like this.
  10. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

Apparently my phone making any noise whatsoever while I have it set on the fence post to record is scary. I have an alarm that goes off at 5 daily and it went off when I was riding once and you would have thought I asked him to jump off a cliff asking him to go near it so I could shut it off. Lol

He had a good spook 2 weeks ago while he was tied to the trailer. I was brushing him, he was relaxed, all was quiet. Out of nowhere someone in the neighborhood tosses a board from somewhere high and it causes him to jump....right on my foot. So now my little toe on my left foot is broken. Lol

Bakkir likes this.