Spook of the day

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Bakkir, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Most of the time Charm spooks on the spot. More of a startle reaction than a spook. But her best friend the Clydesdale is very nervous.

Today was a chain reaction Epic spook.

First a delivery van came barreling down the farm driveway. I was grazing the two horses in the only shadey area. First the Clyde spooked, which startled Charm, which caused her to fart and that set them both off again. Then the clyde's lead rope fell to the ground and instantly became a snake in the grass.

I saved them both :whistle:. After that the Clyde had enough and wanted back out in the paddock where she feels safe.

Charm didn't care once the commotion was over. But followed her friend back home.

I was laughing so hard at both of them :rofl:. It was over in about 5 seconds.

I thought this would be an amusing topic.

What silly things spook your horse?

2. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

Oh there's a list of silly things that spook my horse:
    • The mirror in the arena when it's clean.
    • The mirror in the arena when it's dirty.
    • Her own shadow.
    • The shadow the floodlights make during the daytime. Square shaped shadows are demons.
    • Going from the shaded part of the arena into the sunlit part of the arena. The sunlit sand is lava.
    • A line in the sand from where a ground pole was.
    • Arena letters, particularly H and M.
    • Dark patches of sand.
    • A leaf.
    On the other hand, things that don't spook my horse:
    • The enormous earth moving equipment next door hammering it's way through rock.
    • Cyclists flying past on the trail that runs alongside the arena. Ditto for horses and bush walkers.
    • The dopey Labrador chasing her as she's trotting around, or just plain old lying down on the track in front of her.
    • Plover birds flapping and dive bombing her.
    • Chickens popping up out of the bushes and scrabbling around in the leaves under the trees beside the arena.
    • Her paddock mates doing cartwheels in the paddock next to the arena.
    Because logic...

3. GONE ROPING

GONE ROPING Senior Member+

Remi pulled a dumb one when my trainer and I were out trailriding about a month ago. We were riding along and so far she had been the calm, unflappable fearless leader of the group, going through water, leading the rest by scary objects, and not losing her mind when the rest did. We come along to a spot where the trail gets a little narrower. We come around the corner and suddenly on either side of the path are two rocks. One on each side. She hits the brakes and does her best impression of a reiners sliding stop and lets out a loud snort. She starts to back up but I keep urging her forward and she keeps eying those rocks. We get almost to the rocks and she chooses to spook at the one on the left, and trip and almost do a faceplant, over the one on the right. She walked away looking a little sheepish. For good reason.:rofl:

4. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Someone has left a large pearly white football on the edge of the jump storage area in the arena....

Yesterday evening we were fine, until we noticed it, then The Wonder Horse is giving it the evil eye every time we go past...then the next rider coming into the arena switched the lights on, so now we can see this thing even better, and she does a two step shuffle past it a couple of times before we decided that it was probably OK.

Lesson day today, and I’m warming her up, neither of us are worried about the ball, until I ride her off the track, and up the quarter line.....now heading straight for this ENORMOUS killer ball, that is now the devil incarnate and cannot be approached. She snaked, spooked, she was not impressed...and all I could do was laugh at her.

5. slc

slc Senior Member

A Webber grill out kind of in the middle of nowhere. Left out in a picnic area.

My young horse, out for a trail ride. "It's alright, go on, go over there and look at it."

He started acting like the maid in "My Uncle". Finally he goes over there, he's trembling as if he's facing a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

SUDDENLY, the Webber grill SHUTS! AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! And runs for the barn.

This is the horse that was terrified of large empty flower pots....

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    StraightandTrue and Bakkir like this.
  6. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Samson has gotten better about not panicking, but he gets bug eyed and snorty at a lot still. He use to be one of those who would get down low, scramble his legs around then take off in a panic. Yesterday fireworks set him off, then he was scared of a bucket, the hose, some water... it can be anything once he's in that mindset. He used to be awful with people walking in the loft, I think because people had thrown shavings bags down that hit him. He's still afraid of shavings bags.

Jessie isn't afraid of much. She really only ever spooks if another horse starts going nutty near her, so like if I'm on her and a turned out horse in sight starts running and jumping around (trying to sabotage our ride...). The only other thing she is very wary of and needs to do a wide bend around and stare at is cut trees. Like, if a tree was at one point across the trail and someone used a chainsaw to cut it back off of the trail, she does not like the cut surface... trees and logs are fine... but not cut wood... :confused: Silly silly ponies :p

Bakkir likes this.
  7. Larkspade

Larkspade Senior Member

rocks on the trails
    tree stumps on the trail
    she used to spook at the sawdust mound that was in her pasture, when going past it to get to the arena, when she never spooked at it in the pasture:rolleyes:

StraightandTrue and Bakkir like this.
  8. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

The outside arena has jump standards along the side of the fence. We have gone over and touched them several times. I have set a few up to ride around and I have picked them up to show Charm they don't bite. She will touch them with her nose etc.

But when riding past them lined up, she will start snorting and side stepping around them.

My fix is to keep doing figures 8's until she will go straight. So we pass them without riding the long side. She is perfectly fine with doing that.

I would like to see her reaction to jumps set up with filler. She would probably want to jump them. lol

GONE ROPING and Larkspade like this.
  9. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Fireworks, right in front of the gate? (Small ones, blown off by the kiddo and husband) No big deal. Not even a raised head.

A bug zapper 25 feet away that makes a popping noise when it fries a mosquito? Run off in a panic! :rolleyes:

Needless to say, I brought the bug zapper in the pasture to fry some more bugs. Five minutes later, they were much better.

Bakkir, StraightandTrue and Larkspade like this.
  10. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Bella almost never spooks. She's either completely calm about things or she's so oblivious she doesn't notice them.

But one day I was riding around the ranch when a squirrel darted past in front of us. We see squirrels all the time. There are about 7 billion of them on the ranch.

Apparently, this one was special. She did that classic stop-dead-spook-with-splayed-legs-head-down-and-snorting thing. It was hilarious. Then she was clearly embarrassed, which was even more hilarious. :rofl: